13) Arizona State-USC play football at noon this Saturday; that’s noon, eastern time, or 9am in Los Angeles. What genius decided THIS was a good idea???
Pac-12 wants more national TV exposure; they’re going to play 9am local time games so they can get that exposure. Teams will have to eat their pregame meal at 5am. What mental midget even suggested this in a meeting, and who approved it???
12) Seattle Seahawks visit Buffalo Sunday; Seahawks have won their last ten games played in the eastern timezone.
11) 1970 Cincinnati Bengals are only NFL team ever to make the playoffs, after starting a season 1-6. With playoffs expanding this year, could it happen again in 2020?
10) Steelers’ linebacker Robert Spillane scored a TD against the Ravens Sunday; he is the grandson of Johnny Lattner, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1953.
9) NFL teams have recovered only 3 of 33 onside kicks this season; league needs to institute that rule where teams can keep the ball after a score and have a 4th-and-15 on their own 35, instead of an onside kick. AAF and/or XFL had that rule; it gives teams a legit chance to keep the ball.
8) 41-year old QB Josh McCown, who had been on the Eagles’ practice squad, was signed by the Houston Texans, and is on their active roster. Houston is McCown’s 12th NFL team.
7) MAC football started Wednesday night: MACtion. Over the last five years, 9 of the 12 MAC teams have played in the league championship game.
6) Central Michigan 30, Ohio U 27:
— Lewis ran for 110 yards, two TD’s.
— Chippewas scored the last 10 points of the game.
5) Buffalo 49, Northern Illinois 30:
— Buffalo scored three defensive TD’s, two of them 0:35 apart.
— NIU turned ball over five times, losing four fumbles.
— Buffalo led 21-16 at halftime.
4) Toledo 38, Bowling Green 3:
— Rockets led 21-0 after 12:00 and coasted from there.
— Peters threw for 214 yards, four TD’s.
3) Kent State 27, Eastern Michigan 23:
— Kent blew a 20-9 halftime lead, then scored game-winning TD with 7:31 left.
— Golden Flashes outgained EMU, 431-302.
2) Miami 38, Ball State 31:
— Ball State kicked a 48-yard FG with 1:08 left to tie the game.
— Miami scored game-winning TD with 0:24 left after Ball State threw an INT.
1) Western Michigan 58, Akron 13:
— Zips recovered onside kick on opening kickoff; that was it for them.
— WMU led 30-13 at halftime, and coasted home.