13) First things first today; happy 80th birthday to Dr Anthony Fauci, the scientist who has tried to educate all of us about COVID-19. Dr Fauci has been a bastion of knowledge during these hideous times; hope he has a very happy birthday.
12) Detroit Lions are hosting the Buccaneers Saturday, but interim coach Bevell and DC Cory Undlin are among Detroit coaches who are in isolation and unable to be at the Lions’ facility due to contact tracing after a player and coach tested positive for COVID-19 Tuesday.
No one has said who will call plays for Detroit if Bevell isn’t there; Lions also fired their special teams coach Monday, so the players might be coaching themselves Saturday.
11) College football coaching changes:
— Illinois hired former Wisconsin/Arkansas coach Bret Bielema.
— Auburn hired Boise State coach Bryan Harsin.
— UL-Monroe hired former Auburn/Akron coach Terry Bowden.
— Arizona hired Patriots’ QB coach Jedd Fisch.
10) Harsin probably left Boise in part because the Broncos aren’t happy in the Mountain West, and may want to move on to the AAC, at least on the football side. That would mean a lot of very long road trips, and they wouldn’t be a big fish in a small pond anymore (they’d lose more!!!)
9) For six years from 2004-10, Phoenix Suns averaged 55.3 wins/year, but they lost twice in the Western Conference final, once in NBA Finals; Phoenix hasn’t been in the NBA playoffs since then, averaging 30.6 wins/year.
Watching Phoenix play in their opener with Dallas, looks like the Suns have a chance to end their drought and make the playoffs this season.
8) Ohio State 80, Rutgers 68:
— Rutgers led this one 48-32 with 14:51 left in the game.
— Which means, over last 14:51, Buckeyes outscored Rutgers 48-20.
— Ohio State outscored Rutgers 22-10 on the foul line.
7) Illinois 98, Penn State 81:
— Penn State led 19-4 5:01 into this game.
— Illini has split its last six games; they were 23-28 on foul, PSU 4-7.
— Both teams shot 63%+ inside the arc; lot of easy baskets.
6) Northwestern 74, Indiana 67:
— Nothing is more 2020 than the Wildcats beating Michigan St/Indiana to start league play.
— Northwestern outscored Hoosiers 24-13 over last 8:57 of the game.
— Wildcats shot 67.7% inside the arc.
5) Celtics 122, Bucks 121:
— Antetokounmpo scored 35 points, but missed game-tying foul shot with 0:01 left.
— Milwaukee was +22 with Brook Lopez on floor (29:00), -23 with him on bench.
— Tatum/Brown combined for 63 points for Boston.
4) Cal-Bakersfield 79, Pepperdine 51:
— Waves are disappointing; they’ve already lost to three Big West teams.
— Bakersfield starts five seniors, is #2 experience team in country.
— Pepperdine star Ross scored only 10 points in 36:00.
3) Kings 124, Nuggets 122 OT
— Buddy Hield tipped in a missed layup at the buzzer for the win.
— Three Sacramento starters scored 20+ points.
— Jokic scored 29 points, had 15 rebounds, 14 assists for Denver.
2) Creighton 66, Xavier 61:
— Bluejays won 3rd straight game, last two by 2-5 points.
— Creighton was 14-20 on foul line, Musketeers 5-7.
— First loss for Xavier after an 8-0 start.
1) Was kind of sad to see that they’re taking Jack Murphy Stadium down in San Diego; Chargers/Padres played there for decades, there was a Super Bowl there. San Diego is the 8th biggest city in the country; hard to believe there isn’t an NFL team there.