13) Today is June 30 but we’re going to hear a lot of stuff about the NBA starting tonight, with free agency starting. NBA’s offseason is often more interesting than the season itself.
12) New York 17, Boston 13— Game was 6-6 after the first inning with neither pitcher getting three outs; this game looked more like beer league softball than major league baseball.
11) At 2:13 Saturday afternoon, after the 6-6 first inning, Dave Cokin posted on Twitter that in live betting, the total on the New York-Boston game was 23.5 (+$130). It went way over that.
10) Lot of college basketball coaches are over in Greece for the FIBA u19 World Cup, where there are six uncommitted American 5-star prospects playing, as well as several prospects from Canada and Puerto Rico- the tournament runs thru July 7th.
9) Mets’ manager Mickey Callaway makes $850,000 to manage the Mets, and in reality, he is just a button-pusher who is ordered around by the team’s GM. Not a lot of cash for a manager, and in a big market at that.
What I’m suggesting is that being the Indians’ pitching coach might be a better job than managing the Mets, seeing how the Indians’ pitching coach probably makes around $250,000 with a hell of a lot less stress and a lot more job security than Callaway has now, and he actually gets to coach the pitchers.
8) Orioles 13, Indians 0— Over last two days, Baltimore outscored the Tribe 26-0.
Orioles are 24-58 this season, but 10-6 when Andrew Cashner starts. Cashner should be the O’s representative on the All-Star team.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Cardinals put OF Marcell Ozuna (broken finger) on the IL.
— Cubs DFA’d OF Carlos Gonzalez.
— Red Sox put P Brian Johnson (non-baseball injury) on the IL.
— Twins activated Byron Buxton, Martin Gonzalez from the IL.
6) Nikola Mirotic signed a contract with Barcelona of the EuroLeague; most people thought he would get an NBA deal for $45-50M, but sounds like he didn’t like the NBA very much.
5) Hamilton 41, Montreal 10— CFL games don’t often have scoreless first quarters; according to Ralph Michaels on Twitter, this was just the 27th scoreless first quarter in the last 973 CFL tilts. 24 of those 27 games stayed under the total, including this one.
4) This week is the first time since 2005 that the 54-hole leader at PGA Tour events led by 6+ shots in back/back weeks. Nate Lashley shot a 63 Saturday, is 23-under thru three rounds.
3) SLS casino in Las Vegas is changing its name back to the Sahara Las Vegas: I stayed there for ten days in 2015. Nice enough casino, small rooms, very tight video poker, good eating places, but no sports book, just a counter in a restaurant to bet on games.
2) Minimum salary for a rookie in the NBA next season: $898,310.
1) The Mets have won only two World Series:
Jerry Koosman was on mound for the Mets for the last out of the ’69 World Series.
In ’78, he was traded to the Twins for a package including Jesse Orosco.
Jesse Orosco was on the mound for the last out of the ’86 World Series.