14) Get well soon to Mets’ broadcaster Ron Darling, who is taking a medical leave from his TV gig. Darling is one of the best broadcasters on TV; he will be missed. Get well soon, sir.
13) Someone at the Westgate SuperBook placed a $3,000 bet on the Clippers to beat Golden State in their first round series at 100-1 odds. Yikes.
12) Nets 111, 76ers 102— Far be it from me to question the Sixers’ focus, but Amir Johnson had a cellphone on the bench during the game; at one point, he and Joel Embiid were looking at something on it, while sitting on the bench. Didn’t look like a video of the Brooklyn offense. Or defense.
Apparently Johnson’s daughter was ill and he was checking in on her during the game.
Then there is this: “Use of a cell phone on the bench is a violation of the NBA Operations Manual. Violation will result in a substantial fine and/or suspension.”
11) Giants 5, Rockies 2— These two teams are only ones in major leagues this season that haven’t scored a run yet in the first inning. Colorado hasn’t scored in first two innings yet this year.
10) Rockies-Giants game lasted so long Friday night (18-inning game ended at 3:50am here in NY) that the seagulls that usually hover over the Giants’ ballpark late in games took off about an hour before the game ended.
9) Still don’t understand why some teams bat their pitcher 8th. Tony LaRussa did it, and Joe Maddon has done it, but neither one of them ever did it in a playoff game, and until that happens, then it is just a gimmick.
8) Sacramento Kings hired Luke Walton as their next head coach.
7) Baseball injuries:
— Texas 2B Rougned Odor (knee) heads to the IL.
6) Orioles 9, Red Sox 5— Chris Davis had three hits in five plate appearances in this game. Coming into Saturday, Davis had three hits in his previous 83 PA’s.
5) Tampa Bay’s Tommy Pham has now reached base in 47 consecutive games; the record is 84, held by Ted Williams.
4) Duke played 26 basketball games on ESPN this season. 26 out of 38, and their four games in NCAA’s were all on CBS/Turner.
3) There are 60 international players from 29 countries on NBA playoff rosters; every playoff team has at least two international players, with Utah (6) having the most.
2) Going to be cruddy weather in Georgia Sunday; The Masters moved up tee times in the final round to 7:30am, with CBS coming on the air at 9am. Mets-Braves is the Sunday night ESPN game; doesn’t sound too promising for that game to be played.
1) AAA Rochester Red Wings scored 18 runs Saturday….and lost, 20-18 in 10 innings.
There is a sign on the scoreboard at Rochester’s stadium, sponsored by baldness.com. Having a sign on a scoreboard can’t be cheap. Must be good money in baldness.