13) Oklahoma State 83, Oklahoma 81 OT— Trae Young scored 48 points, but it took some effort- he was 8-20 on the arc, 6-19 inside the arc, 12-12 on the line. He had 8 assists, 7 turnovers— no other Sooner scored in double figures.
In his last three games, Young is 20-48 on the arc, 17-39 inside the arc, 17-23 on the line, with 21 assists, 28 turnovers. He has the ball a lot.
Sooners were down 25-6 in this game, fought back to force OT, but Cowboys win to split the Bedlam series this season.
12) Fresno State-Air Force basketball game was postponed because of the government being shut down— all athletic activities at the Air Force Academy were postponed.
11) Auburn 79, Georgia 65— Dawgs led 40-26 at halftime, but Auburn started second half on a 31-4 run and won going away.
10) Kansas freshman Billy Preston isn’t at Kansas anymore; he signed up to play in the Bosnian pro basketball league, figuring he was never going to become eligible to play for the Jayhawks this season, after he was in a car accident and questions arose over who bought the car he was driving.
9) UNLV 79, Colorado State 74— Rebels scored the last 14 points of the game; if you took five points with the hometown Rams in this game, a push wasn’t what you had in mind. UNLV is 3-0 on road in Mountain West, but 0-3 at home. Go figure.
8) USC 74, Oregon State 67— Trojans sweep their Oregon trip for first time since 2008.
7) Thunder 148, Cavaliers 124— Cleveland is 3-18-1 vs spread at home; they’ve lost nine of their last 12 games overall.
6) I’m totally convinced that in college basketball, one of the most important skills for a player to have is getting loose balls. Not rebounds over the rim, but long rebounds off missed 3-pointers, and deflected passes. There are so many of those in college ball now- the ability to anticipate where those loose balls are going to go often decides who wins games.
5) Kansas 70, Baylor 67— Jayhawks outscored Baylor 9-0 over last 2:51 to pull this game out; they are 6-1 in Big X, with no wins by more than six points.
4) Florida 66, Kentucky 64— Wildcats lost three of their last five games, are just 4-3 in SEC.
3) St Mary’s 72, Pacific 69— Gaels had bit of a hangover after winning at Gonzaga, but they got by the surging Tigers, who had their 5-game winning streak snapped.
2) Upsets of the Day:
NC-Wilmington 73 (+8), Towson State 71 OT
Iowa State (+7) 70, Texas Tech 52
Coastal Carolina (+7) 74, Troy State 73
New Mexico (+6.5) 79, San Diego State 75
Portland (+6.5) 72, LMU 65
Ohio U (+6) 72, Eastern Michigan 66
Washington (+6) 72, Colorado 62
1) Oregon 94, UCLA 91— Bill Walton insinuated that the Bruins have internal problems; don’t forget they suspended those two players from the shoplifting debacle in China, and one of those kids was supposed to be a starter.
UCLA was down big in this game, but stormed back and damn near won the game, but instead they’ve lost three games in a row— Bruins are only 4-4 in the Pac-12.