13) Saturday was Jackie Robinson Day across major league baseball; Mr Robinson put up with a lot of BS when he broke into the major leagues and deserves recognition, but what about Larry Doby, who did the same thing, only in the American League with Cleveland? No one ever mentions the guy.
12) Underrated baseball record: Most consecutive times reaching base— 17, held by Earl Averill (1962) and another guy who did it in 1883.
11) 26 players on the Cincinnati Reds’ 40-man roster are pitchers; because of that, the Reds are targeting versatile players who give their manager more flexibility within games and also in making players, giving starters days off.
10) You listen to Reds’ games on TV, no hometown homers there; oh they want the Reds to win, but if they play badly, their own announcers will rip them. Much different than most places.
9) Dodgers 8, Arizona 4— Since start of the 2014 season, Diamondbacks are now 17-42 against Los Angeles.
8) Blue Jays 2, Orioles 1— Kendrys Morales won it with a walk-off tater, a much-needed win for a Toronto team off to a dismal 2-9 start.
7) Astros 10, A’s 6— Houston scored 10 runs, despite not getting a hit in the first six innings. It is hard to describe how badly the A’s played in the last three innings- they led 5-0 after five.
6) On February 12, 2016, the A’s to Khris Davis from Milwaukee for minor leaguers Bowdien Derby and Jacob Nottingham.
Derby is a pitcher who was 6-13, 5.59 in the Class A Florida State league last year. He is a relief pitcher in AA this season.
Nottingham is a catcher who hit .234 in the AA Southern League LY and is back there this year.
In a year-plus with Oakland, Khris Davis has hit 47 homers in 161 games.
5) Former Washington Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar signed on with Arizona as an assistant coach, taking the place of Joe Pasternack, the new coach at UCSB.
4) Nashville 5, Chicago 0— Blackhawks didn’t score a goal in two home playoff games this week.
3) Speaking of Nashville, they had 11,097 fans for a AAA baseball game Saturday. Not bad.
2) Our thoughts and prayers are with Celtics’ star Isaiah Thomas, who lost his 22-year old sister in a car accident in the state of Washington Saturday morning. Terrible tragedy.
1— I am a basketball guy, but the NHL playoffs are so much better than the NBA’s version; there is nothing sign sports quite as dramatic as overtime in a playoff game.
San Jose has a player named Logan Couture who to hit in the face with a puck, but is still playing, even though it hurts him to breathe!!!!! Think about that for a second.
While NBA players ask for days off for a mental break from a long season, Couture is playing with a mouth held together by plastic and wire- he probably needs 7 or 8 teeth replaced/taken out completely after the season.