13) Clemson 30, Notre Dame 3— Oversimplification: the players in the orange uniforms ran a lot faster than the players in the white jerseys.
Clemson DC Brent Venables makes $2.2M a year, the 2nd-highest paid assistant in the country. LSU’s DC Dave Aranda makes $2.5M a year. To be an assistant coach.
ABC had 50 cameras covering this game; thats a lot of cameras and people working those cameras. Funny how ESPN did Mack Brown a huge favor by having him host Coaches’ Film Room— Brown is the coach at North Carolina now. Good exposure for his recruiting.
12) Alabama 45, Oklahoma 34— Back-door cover by the Sooners, who trailed 28-0 two minutes into the 2nd quarter. Game wasn’t as close as final score indicates; Alabama averaged 11.7 yds/pass attempt and converted 7-10 on third down.
11) Clemson-Alabama will play for the national title in Santa Clara, CA, of all places; if you care about such things, Crimson Tide opened as 6.5-point favorites.
10) Kentucky 71, Louisville 58— These teams are both really young. Interesting when Jay Bilas was saying how a Kentucky player transferring to Washington helped the Wildcats, because it opened the door for another player to step in and now he is more comfortable in that role. It is possible for a team to have too many talented players- it squelches team chemistry.
9) Florida 41, Michigan 15— Wolverines lost 62-39 to Ohio State, then got drubbed here, not the best ending to Jim Harbaugh’s season. When four starters sit a bowl game out to preserve their health for the next level, thats a death knell for that team.
In four years under Harbaugh, Michigan is 3-9 vs Michigan State, Ohio State and in bowls.
8) New Jersey Giants’ WR Jawill Davis dislocated his kneecap while dancing in the Giants’ locker room this week. Seriously, he did.
7) Baseball doings:
— Angels signed C Jonathan Lucroy to a 1-year, $3.35M deal.
— Yasmani Grandal turned down a 4-year, $60M deal with the Mets.
6) North Carolina 82, Davidson 60— Davidson has players from seven countries, including this one; is it tougher to have good team chemistry with players from such diverse backgrounds?
Nationally, Maine has most international players (12); Saint Mary’s has 10.
5) Wizards’ G John Wall is expected to have surgery on his left heel soon and will miss 6-8 months, which is obviously bad news for coach Scott Brooks’ job security.
4) Upsets of the Day:
— Texas Southern (+16.5) 88, Texas A&M 73
— Princeton (+14.5) 67, Arizona State 66
— Florida Atlantic (+14) 73, Illinois 71 OT
— Longwood (+11.5) 110, Citadel 94
— Brown (+10) 82, San Diego State 61- Aztecs were down 28 at the half.
— Santa Clara (+8) 79, Washington State 71
— Western Kentucky (+7.5) 83, Wisconsin 76
— Liberty (+7.5) 73, UCLA 58— Bruins lost last two home games, to Belmont/Liberty. No bueno.
— Montana State (+7) 92, Southern Utah 62
— Gardner-Webb (+6.5) 73, Wake Forest 69
3) Rick Pitino won his debut coaching in Greece, leading Panathinaikos to a 96-84 win over CSKA Moscow Friday night. If you think I typed out “Panathinaikos”, no way. Copy/paste.
2) Dumbest college football rule: 15-yard penalty for taking your helmet off on the field- if you do it twice, you’re out of the damn game. Just a ludicrous rule.
1) If you’re in Las Vegas and like betting NFL props, the Westgate SuperBook is by far the best place to go; lot of different wagering options for you there.