13) Oregon 85, Arizona 58— It isn’t that the Ducks won, its that they led 36-11, and then it got a lot worse for the Wildcats, who had won 15 games in a row coming in. Ugly game. Oregon made 16-25 3’s- they made 10 of their first 13 behind the arc.
12) Florida 88, Kentucky 66— Rick Barry’s son Canyon is Florida’s 6th man; he’s made 30 free throws in a row, and he shoots underhanded, like his Hall of Fame father did.
Dwight Howard has missed 3,492 foul shots in his career (56.8%) yet he’s never tried shooting them underhanded— he makes $23M a year. Oy.
11) Bad Beat of the Year/Decade/Century?— VCU led by a hoop at St Bonaventure but Bonnies hit a 3-pointer with 0:00.5 left, giving them a 1-point lead. VCU was favored by a point, so if you bet on St Bonaventure, you just won your bet right? Um, not so fast.
Nitwit students stormed the court, thinking the game was over and the Bonnies had won. It wasn’t over and they hadn’t won yet. Refs called a technical foul, VCU made the foul shot and the game went to overtime.
VCU won by 6 in overtime. Very tough loss for the home side.
10) Very upsetting day in the Big X:
Iowa State (+11) won 92-89 in OT at Kansas.
Kansas State (+8.5) won 56-54 at Baylor.
Oklahoma State (+11) won 82-75 at West Virginia.
9) Game of the Day: Eastern Washington 130, Portland State 124, in triple OT. Eagles led by 16 early in second half, before things got crazy.
EWU had two players score 45 points each, first time in eight years that any D-I college team had two kids score 40+ points in same game.
8) Syracuse 66, Virginia 62— Cavaliers were up 12 at the half, but scored only 28 points in second half as Orangemen improved to 6-0 at home in the ACC.
7) Ohio 85, Akron 70— Zips lost their first MAC game of season (9-1); they also had two kids wear one white sneaker, one dark blue sneaker in this game. Interesting fashion statement.
6) Rutgers 70, Penn State 68— Scarlet Knights are now 1-23 in Big 14 road games since joining the league.
5) St Mary’s 71, San Diego 27— Yikes. Toreros were down 32-9 at the half- they were 3-2o for the game, INSIDE the arc. Just a horrible performance.
4) Texas El-Paso 57, Middle Tennessee 54— Miners were an 11-point underdog but pulled the upset; UTEP has now won six of last seven games after starting the season 2-13. Tim Floyd can really coach- in their last four games, UTEP won as underdogs of 8/14/5.5/11 points.
3) Green Bay 86, Valparaiso 69— Upset win puts the Phoenix only a half-game out of first place in the Horizon League.
2) Yale-Cornell game was suspended until Sunday with the score 2-0 due to a power outage in Ithaca.
1— Virginia, Kansas, Middle Tennessee, Wm & Mary, Tennessee, Oral Roberts; they all had double digit halftime leads Saturday- they all lost. Its been an odd season- I can’t get a handle on it yet. Teams are incredibly erratic.