Eight ranked teams lost to unranked teams this week.
13) Kentucky 15, Missouri 14— Mizzou got called for pass interference in the end zone on the last play of the game, so Kentucky got another play, threw a 2-yard TD pass, and now Wildcats are 7-1.
Missouri had zero first downs in the second half- none.
12) Cincinnati 26, SMU 20 OT— Bearcats kicked 41-yard FG at the gun to force OT, then ran back an INT 86 yards for the game-winning TD in overtime. That hasn’t happened much, where a defensive score decided a game in overtime.
11) Kansas 27, TCU 26— Horned Frogs fumbled on the Kansas 10-yard line in last 2:00, screwing up what would at least have been the game-tying FG.
From 2015-17, Jayhawks were 3-33; this year, they’re 3-5, so big improvement for them.
In their last six games, TCU is -14 in turnovers (2-16).
10) Iowa State 40, Texas Tech 31— Cyclone fans better enjoy this, because their coach Matt Campbell ain’t going to be in Ames much longer— the big-$$$ people will come calling for him, and soon, then the Iowa State revival will be in jeopardy.
This game was 31-all with under 5:00 left when Tech got called for intentional grounding in their own end zone, which out ISU up 33-31. On the ensuing series, Cyclones had 3rd-and-9 but threw a 48-yard TD pass, putting the game out of reach.
Lot of points for a game with two freshman QB’s playing.
9) Clemson 59, Florida State 10— Oy. This is the worst Florida State team since Bobby Bowden got to Tallahassee over 40 years ago. Willie Taggart needs to have a seriously positive run of good recruiting; this game tied a 49-0 loss to Florida in 1973 as the worst loss in FSU history.
8) Penn State 30, Iowa 24— Iowa had the ball on Penn State’s 3-yard line with 3:17 left, but threw a hideous INT where instead of calling a timeout to get organized, Iowa’s QB ran a play and QB/WR weren’t on the same page, and Penn State got the clinching INT.
Hawkeyes had two safeties in first 16:39 of this game; don’t see that a lot; Iowa’s punter also threw a TD on a fake FG. Rough day for Iowa’s QB; in the first half, they ran a play action fake and had a TE wide-open (by 20 yards) for an easy TD, but the QB overthrew the pass.
7) Upsets of the Week:
— Oregon State (+23.5) 41, Colorado 34
— Kansas (+13.5) 27, TCU 26
— California (+10.5) 12, Washington 10
— Georgia Southern (+8) 34, Appalachian State 14
— Northern Illinois (+7.5) 7, BYU 6
— Arizona (+7.5) 44, Oregon 15
— Kentucky (+7) 15, Missouri 14
— Charlotte (+6.5) 20, Southern Miss 17
— Northwestern (+6) 31, Wisconsin 17
6) Georgia Tech 49, Virginia Tech 28— We mentioned how Yellow Jackets didn’t complete a pass in this game Thursday; last college team to score 40+ points in a road game without completing a pass? Ohio Bobcats, in 2002, in a 50-0 win at Kent State.
5) Oregon State 41, Colorado 34 OT— Horrific loss for Colorado; Buffs led this game 31-3 with 9:00 left in third quarter, but lose as a 23-point favorite.
4) Wake Forest 56, Louisville 35— Few years ago, Louisville coach Petrino pulled a scholarship from a RB named Matt Colburn right before Signing Day, leaving the kid without a place to play ball. Wake Forest wound up signing him; Saturday, Colburn ran for 202 yards and three TD’s……against Louisville.
3) Arizona State 38, USC 35— Go-ahead TD was a 92-yard punt return for a TD by N’Keal Harry late in 3rd quarter where USC appeared to have lot of big guys covering the punt— lot of numbers in the 70’s chasing a very fast guy, which seldom ends well for the team that kicked.
Harry also made a great one-handed catch earlier in the game; you’ll see it on highlight shows the rest of the season.
Trojans are 4-4; the natives are restless. coach Helton’s seat is very hot- they scored 35 points with their 3rd-string QB playing, but one TD was a punt return, another a trick play.
2) Georgia 36, Florida 17— Dawgs outgained Florida 429-275, and the Gators had won five in a row coming in. All seven of Georgia’s wins are by 14+ points. Top of the SEC is a meat grinder.
1) Red Sox 9, Dodgers 6- LA led 4-0 after six innings, but the Dodger bullpen imploded and now Boston leads the World Series 3-1, with Game 5 tonight.