13) Penn State 42, Michigan 13— Nittany Lions look like Alabama’s top challenger right now for the national title; yardage in this game was 506-269.
Watched decent amount of Big 14 football Saturday; not a lot of great offense. Michigan State is 6-1 and they look like they don’t even practice offense during the week.
12) Upsets of the Week:
Rutgers (+9.5) 14, Purdue 12
Pittsburgh (+8) 24, Duke 17
Charlotte (+7.5) 25, UAB 24 OT
Fresno State (+7.5) 27, San Diego State 3
Boston College (+7) 41, Virginia 10
Louisville (+6.5) 31, Florida State 28
Iowa State (+6.5) 31, Texas Tech 13
UConn (+6.5) 20, Tulsa 14
11) Florida State is 2-4 and still has to play Clemson and Florida, so they’re no lock to even get to a bowl game, which is difficult to fathom.
10) Seminoles play 4-4 Boston College next; Eagles are coming off consecutive wins at Louisville and at Virginia. Eagles outgained Virginia 512-247 Saturday.
9) Notre Dame 49, USC 14— Real winner here is 7-0 Georgia, which has a win at Notre Dame this season- helps their power rating a lot. This was Trojans’ third straight loss in South Bend.
8) By my count, there were seven overtime games Saturday, a lot for one day.
7) Air Force 45, Nevada 42— Falcons ran ball 91 times for 550 yards, converted 12-18 third down plays- they led 28-20 at the half, needed a last-second FG to get out of Reno with a win.
6) Utah State 52, UNLV 28— In their last three games. Rebels were outscored 72-3 in the second half. In happier news, UNLV’s basketball team is supposed to be much-improved this winter.
5) Iowa State 31, Texas Tech 13— At 5-2, Cyclones are America’s Cinderella team, which is good news. Bad news is that big-money schools are going to come after coach Matt Campbell next month with their wallets wide open. Will he stay at Iowa State?
4) Arizona 45, California 44 OT— Wildcats won their last three games, running ball for 1,227 yards; a potent running offense still gets things done at the college level. Arizona blew a 21-7 halftime lead; Cal tied the game with a 52-yard FG, but then they stupidly went for two points and the win in overtime— that tactic usually fails.
3) Oklahoma State 13, Texas 10 OT— You hold the Cowboys to 13 points, you should win. Texas converted only 3-17 on 3rd down- they were outgained 428-283.
2) South Florida is 7-0, Central Florida is 6-0; their showdown for the Eastern Division title of the AAC is November 24 in Orlando.
1) Auburn 52, Arkansas 20— Could be the end of the road for Bret Bielema in Little Rock; he is 28-31 as coach of the Razorbacks.