13) I have this ESPN news alert thing on my cellphone that goes off if something significant happens in the world of sports.
Here’s a hint; I DO NOT need it to go off at 1:55am, no matter where Kawhi Leonard signed.
20 minutes later, at 2:15 Saturday morning, it goes off again with details of the Paul George trade. Have to find out how to disable that feature.
12) Here are all the draft picks Oklahoma City got for Paul George, in addition to Danilo Gallinari and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander:
— Miami’s 1st rounder in 2021
— Clippers’ 1st round in 2022
— Miami’s 1st rounder in 2023 (top 14 protected)
— 2023- teams swap #1 picks
— Clippers’ 1st round in 2024
— 2025- teams swap #1 picks
— Clippers’ 1st round in 2026
Some kid who is in 6th grade right now will get picked in the NBA Draft seven years from now- that pick was included in this deal.
11) In other news, Jerry West works for the Clippers; he remains the best executive in NBA history, as well as one of its greatest players ever.
10) Russell Westbrook’s salary the next two years:
Oklahoma City needs to trade him too, right?
9) If Billy Donovan announced tomorrow that he’s had enough of the NBA and wanted to go back to college basketball, how many schools would fire their coach to hire him? (a lot). Would be lot easier to list the teams that wouldn’t fire their coach to hire him.
8) John Daly will have to walk if he wants to play in this year’s British Open at Royal Portrush; the powers-that-be at the British Open turned down his request to use a golf cart next week.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Twins put 1B CJ Cron (thumb) on the IL
— Pirates put P Steven Brault (shoulder) on the IL.
— Orioles claimed P Aaron Brooks off waivers from Oakland.
6) Minnesota Twins have already hit 166 home runs, as many as they hit all of last season.
5) Best wishes to Indians’ pitcher Carlos Carrasco, who was recently diagnosed with leukemia; he hopes to rejoin the Indians by the end of the month.
4) Holy Cross hired Marquette assistant Brett Nelson as its new basketball coach, replacing Bill Carmody, who retired June 18.
3) MLB suspended Phillies’ OF Odubel Herrera for the rest of this season over suspicion of domestic battery.
2) Terry Armstrong is a 4-star recruit from Scottsdale who had previously committed to play basketball for the Arizona Wildcats; in order to become eligible he had to take summer classes at Arizona to boost up his GPA, which wasn’t good enough yet.
Instead, the young man will skip those summer classes and will play pro basketball overseas in Australia next season. He is listed right now as the #40 prospect for the 2020 NBA Draft.
1) By the way, Zion Williamson is done in Las Vegas; he bruised his left knee Friday night and will not play anymore in the summer league, which should curtail attendance a little.