13) Pretty cool moment at Detroit Lions’ training camp Friday; David Blough is one of their backup QB’s. After practice, the Lions held a watch party to witness Melissa Gonzalez, Blough’s wife, qualify for the Olympic semifinal round of the 400-meter hurdles in Tokyo.
Stuff like that is awesome; they made a video for Ms Gonzalez, supporting her. Excellent stuff to see. Good team bonding stuff.
Ms Gonzalez’ dad played basketball at UTEP for the legendary coach Dan Haskins.
12) Remember the movie Little Big League, when Jason Robards owns the Minnesota Twins, but he dies and he leaves the team to his 12-year old grandson?
The actress who played the kid’s mom was Ashley Crow; in real life, her son was a first-round draft pick of the Mets last year. Pete Crow-Armstrong was one of the players traded by the Mets Friday to Chicago when they acquired Javier Baez from the Cubs.
11) Indians 12, White Sox 11— Chicago C Seby Zavala is the first player ever to hit his first three major league home runs in the same game. His batting average went from .143 to .250 in one glorious night, but the White Sox couldn’t hold a 6-1 lead.
10) Go on the Interweb and google “Monte Harrison’s catch” and you might see the best catch an outfielder has ever made, and I mean, ever. I’m not exaggerating.
Last night in Charlotte, the Jacksonville CF (who is righty) ran to his right, scaled the fence and caught a baseball backhanded against the wall that was 9-10 feet off the ground. Don’t take my word for it, look it up or just watch SportsCenter— a tremendous play.
9) Dodgers are 63-43 this season, despite being 1-11 in extra inning games.
8) Rays’ pitching ace Tyler Glasnow is going to have Tommy John surgery; he is out for the rest of this year and most of next year.
7) Golfer Justin Thomas made 18 pars in the opening round of the Olympics; there have been over 17,000 rounds of golf on the PGA Tour this season, only FIVE TIMES has a guy parred all 18 holes.
6) I’m not a huge fan of wagering on over/under season win totals in college football, seeing how bizarre last season was. That said, people bet on these things. Here are line movements:
— Most bet overs: UNLV over 1.5 wins, Michigan State over 5, Ole Miss over 7.5
— Most bet unders: Michigan 7.5, Tennessee 6, Miami 9.5
— Line movement:
Michigan State 4.5 wins to 5
North Carolina 10 to 9.5
Penn State 9 to 8.5
5) Colleges with a 1st round draft pick in both NFL/NBA Drafts this year:
Alabama, Florida, Houston, Kentucky, LSU, Michigan, Oregon, USC
4) Indianapolis Colts’ QB Carson Wentz is out indefinitely after undergoing testing for a foot injury; they expect him back this season, but it doesn’t sound like they expect him back soon.
Indianapolis signed QB Brett Hundley this weekend; he started nine games (3-6) for Green Bay in 2017, last played for Arizona in 2019. None of the Colts’ other backups have ever played in an NFL game- they need Wentz to be healthy.
3) If the playoffs started today (they do not):
NL: Mets-Brewers-Giants. Wild Card: San Diego @ Los Angeles
AL: Red Sox-White Sox-Astros. Wild Card: Oakland @ Tampa Bay
2) NL Wild Card race:
— Dodgers lead San Diego by 3.5 games
— San Diego has 2nd Wild Card slot right now
— Cincinnati, 4 games behind San Diego
— St Louis, 6.5 games behind
— Atlanta, 7 games behind
— Philadelphia, 7.5 games behind
1) AL Wild Card race:
— Boston leads Oakland by 4 games
— A’s have 2nd Wild Card slot right now
— Seattle/Bronx are 2.5 games behind Oakland.
— Toronto is 3.5 games behind.
— Cleveland is 5.5 games behind.