13) Padres 4, Phillies 3 (10)
— Cronenworth hit Aaron Nola’s 117th pitch for a game-tying HR in the 9th
— Nola took a perfect game into the 7th; his brother caught for San Diego.
— Padres won game on a wild pitch in 10th inning.
— San Diego/Cincinnati are still tied for the second Wild Card slot.
12) Under is 22-8 in NFL preseason games this summer; so far this week, road teams are 11-2 against the spread.
11) By the way, there are no overtimes in preseason games. Rams were down 17-10 last night, scored a TD with 0:15 left, then went for two, rather than settle for a tie.
10) I’m watching the Chiefs play Friday night and Patrick Mahomes runs with the ball, which probably made Andy Reid queasy. Your star QB shouldn’t be playing, much less running with the ball, where he can be hit.
9) Astros outscored Seattle 27-4 the last two days; tough weekend so far for the Mariners.
8) Ravens 20, Panthers 3— Since 2018, Baltimore is 11-0 in exhibition games, 8-3 ATS.
7) Bills 41, Bears 15— Mitch Trubisky threw for 221 yards against his old team.
6) Rams have a defensive lineman named Eric Banks who played high school ball in the Memphis area; he played basketball for current Memphis Tigers’ coach Penny Hardaway.
5) August 21, 1982, the great relief pitcher Rollie Fingers recorded his 300th career save; back then, relief pitching was different that it is now.
Closers today generally pitch the 9th inning, that’s it. In Rollie Fingers’ five busiest seasons, he AVERAGED five outs an appearance. He once came into a World Series game in the 5th inning and didn’t get taken out until the 9th.
4) In Royals-Cubs game Saturday, a KC runner was ruled safe at home because Chicago’s catcher blocked the plate illegally on a throw home, the way catchers used to block the plate. First time I saw that call since they changed the rule a few years ago.
3) Auburn’s new football coach Bryan Harsin tested positive for COVID, will be isolating for a while.
2) Positive news and we can all use positive news; Wednesday-Friday, three days in a row, over a million people got vaccine shots all three days. The more people that get vaccinated, the sooner COVID will stop being such a problem.
1) Wild Card updates:
NL: Reds/Padres are tied for 2nd slot; St Louis is 4.5 games behind, Phillies are 5 behind.
AL: A’s lead Boston by half game for 2nd slot, Seattle by 4 games, Toronto by 4.5.