13) Villanova 50, Houston 44:
— Houston shot 1-20 on the arc.
— Foul line: Villanova 15-15, Cougars 9-14
— When you score 0.86 points/possession and still win, that’s an ugly game.
— Villanova G Moore suffered a lower leg injury late in this game; it didn’t look good.
12) Duke 78, Arkansas 69:
— Duke shot 58.1% inside the arc.
— Only six Blue Devils played more than 5:00.
— Arkansas gave up 62.3 ppg in first three tourney games, 78 in this one.
11) ACC didn’t have a great regular season, but their teams are 12-2 in the NCAA’s, with three of the last six teams still standing.
10) This season, only three of the twelve top 3 seeds made the Elite 8; contrast that to 2007, when seven of the eight top 2 seeds got to the Elite 8.
The top tier of teams isn’t as good this season.
9) Charlie Moore is the point guard for Miami Hurricanes; here is his career path:
2017— Cal Bears
Five years, four schools. Interesting career.
8) Memphis Tigers were notified of multiple violations by the NCAA, including getting rid of evidence the NCAA wanted to look over during their investigation. Not good.
7) Grizzlies 127, Bucks 102— Weird stat: Memphis is 17-2 when Ja Morant doesn’t play.
6) Raptors 131, Pacers 91— Game was delayed for over an hour in second quarter, when a speaker in the arena caught fire. When the game resumed, the fans who were escorted out of the arena weren’t allowed back in. Luckily, no one was hurt.
5) Free agent WR Jarvis Landry isn’t getting the contract offers he thought he would; he’s fired his agent and hired a new one. We’ll see how much that helps.
4) New Jersey Jets signed K Greg Zuerlein, who has kicked for Rams/Cowboys. He made a 56-yard FG in OT to put the Rams into the Super Bowl three years ago.
3) Had the Red Sox-Tampa Bay game on TV in my motel room Saturday, and Boston TV guy Dave O’Brien was whining about pace of play in the first two innings. No bueno.
You get paid six figures to broadcast baseball; if you don’t like it, quit. 1,000 or so people will quickly apply to take your place. Promote the game, that’s part of the job.
2) In 2006, George Mason made the Final Four as a #11-seed; their coach? Jim Larranaga
Sunday, Larranaga’s Miami Hurricanes try to make the Final Four as a #10-seed.
1) Apparently Shaheen Holloway is making $266,000 to coach Saint Peter’s this year; once he signs with Seton Hall, after this great run he’s led the Peacocks on, he’ll be adding a zero at the end of that salary.