13) NFL handicapping note: Since 2003, the defending Super Bowl champ is 11-5-3 ATS in its first game the following season. The team that lost the Super Bowl is 4-15 ATS in its first game the following season.
12) Not sure where Baker Mayfield will spend this coming summer/fall, but I know he’s going to be paid $18.858M; that is his contract guarantee for this coming season.
Someone in the NFL office thinks Mayfield is going to Carolina, seeing how Browns-Panthers are playing each other in Week 1.
11) Over a 24-hour period Thursday/Friday, the temperature in Denver went down 53 degrees, part of why Friday’s Mets-Rockies game was postponed. It snowed in Denver Friday, so they had to play a doubleheader Saturday.
All-time record in Denver, for biggest temperature change in a 24-hour period, was a 76-degree swing back in 2008.
10) White Sox manager Tony LaRussa is 77 years old; his first big league managing job was back in 1979, also with Chicago. There are no current major league players who were alive when he first was a big league skipper.
9) Cleveland pitcher Aaron Civale is off to a bad start, going 2-3, 7.84 in his first seven starts, but he knows how to beat Detroit. In eight career starts against the Tigers, Civale is 7-0, 1.94; he beat them again Friday night.
8) In his first 32 games this season, Trevor Story had two homers, 16 RBI; on Thursday/Friday alone, he hit four home runs with 11 RBI. In two games. Thursday night, his OPS went up 108 points in one game.
7) Story is the third player in MLB history to follow a 3-HR game with a grand slam in his next game; Jeromy Burnitz did it on September 25-26, 2001 with Milwaukee and Sammy Sosa did it on August 10-11, 2002 for the Cubs.
6) Cubs unveiled a statue of their great pitcher Ferguson Jenkins outside Wrigley Field this week; Jenkins pitched for Chicago for ten years, going 167-132 as a Cub. Pretty nice tribute, putting a statue of a player/coach outside the ballpark; a permanent tribute to that person.
5) Was watching the Rangers-Astros game on Apple TV Friday night, which is annoying, since I have a laptop, my phone and TV going all at once, but Apple broadcasts do one cool thing— in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, they post odds that change during an at-bat.
Corey Seager is up with a man on third, one out, they post the %age of his knocking that run in, which changes after each pitch. Something extra to think about, never a bad thing.
4) Heat 109, Celtics 103:
— Boston cut a 26-point Miami lead to one, but Heat held on.
— Jimmy Butler (knee) didn’t play in second half.
— Adebayo scored 31 points, was +17 in 42:00.
— Foul shots: Miami 12-14; Boston 23-30
— Miami leads this series, 2-1
3) Rumor mill has QB Nick Foles signing on to be Matt Ryan’s backup with the Colts, where he re-unites with coach Frank Reich, who was Foles’ OC with Philadelphia.
2) Winner of the PGA golf tournament makes $2.7M, not a bad payout for four days’ work. There are also other benefits; a 10-year exemption on Tour, your sponsors like you more and pay you more.
1) We hear a lot about pitchers getting Tommy John surgery, but Orioles pitcher John Means was in the TV booth Friday and he described his.
They took a tendon from his hamstring and put it in his elbow; Means said doing rehab on the hamstring is one of the toughest part about of his rehab.