Big day of college basketball today; there is lot of stuff going on all over the country. We’re trying to learn as much as possible, as we head towards the holidays.
13) Arizona 83, Illinois 79:
— These teams could see each other again in Final Four.
— Lot of runs by both teams; a plus-minus chart would be interesting.
— Illinois played six guys 10:00+; Arizona only played eight guys total.
— Illinois was 16-36 on arc; they led by 13 in first half.
12) Minnesota 75, Michigan 65:
— Minnesota’s subs play fewest minutes in country- Gophers are 8-1.
— Michigan shot 62% inside arc, 3-18 on arc.
— Minnesota hired Ben Johnson March 22; at that time, they had one player— everyone else hit the transfer portal.
11) Colorado State 66, Mississippi State 63:
— If you had the Rams being one of the last seven unbeaten teams in the country, then go buy a freakin’ lottery ticket.
— Miss State led this game by 7 with 6:25 left to play.
— Colorado State is shooting 43.8% on arc, best in country- they were 11-26 in this game.
— Rams are #17 continuity team in country, which is fueling their hot start.
10) Eastern Michigan 92, Florida International 88, 4OT’s:
— FIU led by 13 points with 7:20 left in regulation.
— Foul shots: EMU 24-40, FIU 10-18.
— FIU had four guys play 44:00+, including two subs.
9) Xavier 83, Cincinnati 63:
— Surprisingly easy win in this crosstown rivalry.
— Musketeers were up 15 at half; they outscored Cincy 28-12 on foul line.
— Xavier is 9-1, with four top 100 wins.
8) TCU 68, Texas A&M 64:
— Aggies went 8-18 on foul line; not good.
— TCU blew 12-point first half lead, but they’re 8-1 now.
— Horned Frogs won their fifth straight game.
7) Navy 17, Army 13:
— Middies (+7) post the upset, holding Army to 196 rushing yards, which isn’t a lot for them.
—This game stayed under the total for the 16th year in a row- total was only 34.
6) Georgetown 79, Syracuse 75:
— Syracuse is 3-5 in its last eight games; they’ve played the #16 schedule in country so far, which is very unlike them.
— Orange has the #236 eFG% defense in country, which isn’t good.
— Syracuse subs played a total of 19:00 in this game.
5) South Dakota State 77, Washington State 74:
— Jackrabbits get an impressive upset on the road- they were 10-16 on arc.
— Wazzu was 9-35 on arc- they lost three of last five games, after a 5-0 start.
— Big win for the Summit League; games like this help a league’s profile.
4) Notre Dame 66, Kentucky 62:
— Kentucky is 0-2 away from Rupp Arena; they were 2-19 on arc.
— Wildcats led 52-48 with 8:15 left in game.
— Notre Dame had lost its previous four D-I games.
3) Oregon Ducks hired 35-year old Dan Lanning as their new head coach; he had been the DC at Georgia. Lanning will stay with Georgia thru the national playoffs, which seems like a bad idea, seeing how his replacements are already on Georgia’s staff.
2) Penn State hired former Miami head coach Manny Diaz as their new DC; one of the quirks of the coaching carousel is this: Had Mario Cristobal stayed in Oregon, Diaz would still be Miami’s head coach and Penn State would be hiring a different defensive coordinator.
1) Alabama 83, Houston 82:
— Last game of day was one of the best; very intense.
— Alabama outscored Houston 24-11 on foul line.
— Crimson Tide shot 59% inside the arc.