13) Virginia 39, Virginia Tech 30— Cavaliers go to ACC championship game for first time, while ending a 15-game losing streak to their in-state rivals.
12) Michigan 82, Gonzaga 64— Wolverines win the Battle of Atlantis, as Juwan Howard begins his head coaching career by winning his first seven games. Thursday’s OT win over Oregon probably took a lot out of the Zags.
11) Marquette 101, USC 79— Markus Howard scored 51 points, his teammates scored 50 as the whole team advances to play Maryland in the finals of the Orlando tournament Sunday. This game was 57-36 at the half; Trojans beat Fairfield 57-48 the day before.
10) Penn State 85, Syracuse 64— ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla basically said without saying the exact words that this is the least talented Syracuse team in decades. Orange are 4-3, with all three losses by 14+ points- their best win is over Colgate.
9) Wake Forest 88, Long Beach State 75— Danny Manning’s Deacons move on to the finals of the Wooden Legacy, will play Arizona in the final Sunday.
Early in this game, kid on Long Beach hits a 3-pointer in front of the Wake Forest bench, and gets a technical for woofing at someone on the bench. Long Beach takes the kid out; the head coach snaps at him a little, then the assistant coach goes over and smooths things over, getting him ready to go back in the game.
8) San Diego State 83, Iowa 73— Aztecs trailed by 17 at one point, improve to 8-0, winning tournament at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
7) Through Week 12, NFL teams with most plays of 20+ yards:
Cowboys 58 (before the Buffalo game), Lions 57
Through Week 12, NFL teams with least plays of 20+ yards:
Dolphins 27, Redskins 29, Bears 31 (before Thursday)
6) Through Week 12, NFL teams that allowed most plays of 20+ yards:
Bengals 69, Raiders 66, Arizona/Miami 58
Through Week 12, NFL teams that allowed fewest plays of 20+ yards:
Patriots/Rams/49ers, all 29
5) Iowa 27, Nebraska 24— Hawkeyes kicked a FG with 0:01 left to end Nebraska’s season at 5-7; this is third year in row that Cornhuskers won’t go bowling.
4) West Virginia 20, TCU 17— Horned Frogs lose as a 13-point home favorite and don’t become bowl eligible. Sad way to end the season.
3) Patriots kicker Nick Folk had an appendectomy, was going miss this week’s game in Houston and then come back, but New England cut him Friday; former Redskins kicker Kai Forbath will be his replacement.
Moral of the story: Don’t have an appendectomy during the season.
2) Philadelphia Eagles signed OT Lane Johnson to a 4-year contract extension worth $72M, with $54.595M of that guaranteed.
1) Reds’ pitcher Trevor Bauer’s $300,000 McLaren sports car was totaled while it was being stored at a Houston McLaren dealership. On Tuesday, a tire fell off of a semi truck, rolled across six lanes of traffic on a Houston highway, struck a wall, and crashed thru a double-paned glass window at the dealership and wrecked Bauer’s car.
Thats an expensive day; luckily, no one was injured.