13) Winning helps and losing doesn’t: Jerry Jones said this week that the Cowboys have already sold 1.5M+ jerseys this year, ten times more than they had $old at thi$ time laSt year. Do the math on that one.
12) Last week, Pitt, USC and Iowa all won as underdogs of 22-9-24 points; out in Las Vegas, a guy put $2 on a money-line parlay of those three teams and collected $792 for this troubles. Thats a 396-1 shot.
11) Justin Verlander was left off of two Cy Young ballots, both by writers in Tampa Bay area; his girlfriend is actress Kate Upton, who let her feelings be known on Twitter (she wasn’t happy).
Verlander was 16-9, 3.04 LY and pitched well (2 runs in 7 IP) in his one start against the Rays LY. No idea why those two writers left him off their ballot- it makes no sense.
10) There are 351 Division I college basketball teams, only so many players to go around, so teams get creative in recruiting: Eastern Washington has five players from Australia; Davidson has players from seven different countries.
9) Rams’ punter Johnny Hekker is first NFL punter since 1984 (Luke Prestridge) to have punts of 75+ yards in consecutive games.
8) Maryland’s football team was outscored 121-6 in its last two games.
7) Clemson got a technical foul during its game with Davidson on Thursday; one of their players wears #00, but it was put in the scorebook as #0, which isn’t the same.
6) Central Michigan has a QB named Cooper Rush who is being touted as an NFL prospect, in a year where the NFL Draft might be a little light on QB prospects.
5) Ravens’ kicker Justin Tucker is also an opera singer and a pretty good one. He sang at a Christmas concert in Baltimore last December and got a standing ovation.
4) Last year, Georgetown played at Maryland and the Terps shot 20 more FTs than the Hoyas. This year, the Terps won by a point at Georgetown, but the Hoyas took 20 more FT’s than Maryland. Funny how that works.
3) Georgetown also lost Thursday as a 23-point home favorite to Arkansas State; Hoyas dropped in rankings from #30 to #46. ASU jumped from #274 to #235.
2) Was reading thru UTEP’s basketball preview for this year; coach Tim Floyd says that El Paso is the biggest city in America without a major league sports team.
1) Our thoughts/prayers go out to Chiefs’ long-snapper James Winchester; his dad was the airport employee murdered earlier this week in Oklahoma City. RIP, sir.