13) After spreading lot of rumors to the contrary this week, turns out that Major League Baseball has no plans to adopt a universal DH before the 2022 season, which is disappointing.
This collective bargaining agreement ends in three years; the DH will apparently be a bargaining chip in the next CBA. Too bad it couldn’t be put into place sooner.
12) Gonzaga won its first nine WCC games by n average of 29.2 ppg, the biggest average margin of victory in a team’s first nine conference games over the last 21 years.
11) Pac-12 is having a dismal basketball season, right now, Washington is 10-0 in conference, with the next eight teams in the standings all either 6-4 or 5-5.
Pac-12 has slipped below the AAC in conference ratings; Washington is the only Pac-12 team with a shot at an at-large bid. Pac-12 is a one-bid league if Washington wins Pac-12 tourney, and maybe even a one-bid league no matter what if the Huskies stumble down the stretch.
10) Front office of the New Orleans Pelicans think the Lakers were tampering with Anthony Davis, so they purposely jerked the Lakers around in trade talks the last two weeks, never intending to send their star player to LA, at least not to the Lakers.
We’ll see if the Pelicans cut off their own nose to spite their face; can they can get a better deal for Davis from another team?
9) Kansas basketball star Lagerald Vick is taking a leave of absence for unsaid reasons, but its not good news for a Jayhawk squad that lost four of its last six games.
8) Eight NHL games went to overtime Thursday night, the most ever in one day.
7) Former Texas Longhorn QB Shane Buechele is leaving the Longhorns and will transfer to SMU, where he will be eligible to play next season.
6) Friday, the NCAA approved a waiver that allows sophomore transfer quarterback Justin Fields to play right away for Ohio State. Fields played as a true freshman at Georgia in 2018 and transferred to the Buckeyes in January following bowl season.
5) NCAA basketball conferences that are playing the fastest tempo:
Atlantic Sun, Ohio Valley, Sun Belt, Southern Conference
Missouri Valley, Colonial, America East, Big West
4) NCAA basketball conferences that are making highest %age of 3’s:
Summit, Southern Conference, Sun Belt, Big West
Lowest %age of 3’s made:
Ivy League, Atlantic 14, MEAC, SWAC
3) NCAA basketball conferences that are making highest %age of foul shots:
Summit, CAA, Horizon, Big East
Lowest %age of FT’s made:
SWAC, MEAC, Ivy, Big West
2) NCAA basketball conferences with highest home court win %:
SWAC, AAC, Big X, Big South
Lowest home court win %:
Big West, MEAC, Big Sky/SEC.
1) NCAA basketball conferences with highest %age of close games:
Lowest %age of close games:
Mountain West, Pac-12, Atlantic Sun, ACC