13) Jimmy Garoppolo’s salary cap hit this season is $37M, highest in NFL; next-highest cap hit is Lions’ QB Matthew Stafford, at $26.5M. Tom Brady’s? $22M.
12) Dak Prescott’s cap hit is the lowest among QB’s, at $725,848.
11) Back in 1985, the highest-paid baseball player was Mike Schmidt ($2,130,000); these days, the Red Sox have a utility guy named Brock Holt who makes $2,225,000.
10) Boston acquired OF/DH Steve Pearce from the Blue Jays, giving Toronto a Class A shortstop in exchange. Pearce is 5-15 with two HR’s vs Masahiro Tanaka, 8-27 vs CC Sabathia.
He batted cleanup in his Boston debut and went 2-4 with a double.
9) Nolan Arenado has homered 10 times in the first inning this year, most in MLB.
8) From 2013-15, Michigan State’s football team was +46 in turnovers; they went 36-5 in those three years.
Last two years, Spartans are -2 in turnovers, going 13-12.
7) Maryland Terrapins have an offensive line with 105 returning starts, so they’ll have a lot of experience, but the Terps are on their fourth OL coach in four years. Kids have heard a lot of different voices in their careers.
6) Marlins 8, Mets 2— Miami is 27-29 when JT Realmuto starts, 6-21 when he does not.
5) Bryce Harper is a free agent after the season; coming into Friday’s game, he is batting .188 in June, with 6 RBI in 95 PA. He is hitting .220 for the season, after hitting .319 LY. Unless he has a big second half of the season, it is going to be an interesting (and expensive??) winter for Harper and his agent.
Harper homered in the Nationals’ rout of Philly Friday night, knocking in three runs.
4) Tim Tebow made it to the AA Eastern League All-Star Game; 30-year old Tebow is batting .261 with five homers, 30 RBI. Not a lot of 30-year olds in the Eastern League.
3) Las Vegas Summer League starts next Friday; Miami Heat’s team might have a small home court edge, with three former UNLV Rebels on their roster. Derrick Jones Jr, Ike Nwamu and Rashad Vaughn will all suit up for the Heat next month.
Indiana Pacers have three UCLA guys on their team; Bryce Alford, Aaron Holiday and TJ Leaf.
2) Arizona Diamondbacks went 18-7 in April, 8-19 in May and are 19-8 in June.
stats.com points out that Arizona joins the 1893 Pirates, 1956 White Sox as the only teams ever to go 10+ games over .500, 10+ games under .500 and 10+ games over .500 in three straight months.
1) All this stuff going on with Justice Kennedy, his son the banker and the current state of affairs in Washington DC, probably has people who write movie scripts relaxing in their offices, sipping cool drinks while taking notes off of CNN, with their feet up on their desks. These movies and their sequels will write themselves.