13) Xavier 75, UConn 74 2OT— Best college hoop game of the young season; six guys fouled out, three for both teams, who will be Big East rivals starting next season.
Xavier won despite going 16-26 on foul line; UConn was 25-27.
Musketeers will play Florida in the finals of the Charleston Classic Sunday night.
12) Duke 81, Georgetown 73— It is usually pretty fun to watch a coach go against Duke for the first time, how he handles getting screwed over in key situations. Patrick Ewing was a great player, but he is a young coach, and he didn’t enjoy this game very much.
Duke was 21-29 on the foul line, Georgetown 11-18. Go figure.
11) Temple 70, USC 61— Nice win for the AAC, and Temple’s rookie coach Aaron McKie.
10) Clippers 122, Rockets 119— Wouldn’t mind if these teams hooked up for a best-of-7 playoff series next spring. Lou Williams scored 26 points in the 2nd half, after not scoring in the first.
9) Myrtle Beach tournament:
— Villanova beat Mississippi State 83-76. High level game.
— Baylor beat Coastal Carolina 77-65; Coastal’s best guard hurt his knee in this game.
Villanova-Baylor is an interesting game Sunday, in the tournament final.
8) Utah State 80, LSU 78— Aggies were down 19 with 16:32 left; big win for the Mountain West Conference, which could use some quality wins.
7) NFL stuff:
— Bears’ QB Mitchell Trubisky will start Sunday.
— Lions’ QB Matthew Stafford (back) will miss his 3rd straight game.
6) Seattle Mariners agreed to a six-year, $24M contract with first baseman/prospect Evan White, who spent last season with the Double-A Arkansas Travelers, where he hit 18 HRs with 55 RBI in 92 games last year.
White is the first player ever at the AA level to get a long-term extension.
5) White Sox gave 1B/DH Jose Abreu a 3-year, $50M contract extension; somehow Abreu will make less money than C Yasmani Grandal, who signed with the Pale Hose this week, getting $73M for four years.
4) Missouri State 71, St Joe’s 69— Nice win for the Bears, who’ve used transfers to elevate their talent level; Lamont West played 110 games for West Virginia. Missouri State figures to contend in the Missouri Valley Conference this winter.
3) 76ers 115, Spurs 104— San Antonio has lost eight games in a row.
2) Cleveland State 47, NC-Wilmington 46— Vikings were ravaged by transfers after their coaching change; this was their first D-I win this season, five tries.
1) Nuggets 96, Celtics 92— Big week for Denver, beating the Rockets/Celtics at home.