13) Thinking about the NFL Draft and Baker Mayfield— I know there’s a lot more to it than just the QB, but Oklahoma Sooners averaged 8.29 yards/play last year, best in country. Next best was UCF at 7.46 yards/play. Sam Darnold’s USC offense was 15th on the list, at 5.56 yards/play.
12) Jets traded three #2 draft picks to move up from #6 to #3 in the draft, so everyone’s job is on the line when they make that selection in 12 days.
Guess it is odd that the Giants/Jets will be under intense scrutiny in a draft held in Dallas.
11) Atlanta Falcons games in 2017 went under the total by an average of 6.84 ppg, after a 2016 season whey went over the total almost every week.
Detroit Lions games went over by an average of 4.34 ppg, the most in the NFL.
10) Mets lost both their catchers to injury this week; Travis d’Arnaud tore his UCL, Kevin Plawecki broke his hand. When you’re excited about having Jose Lobaton on your roster, it is time to trade for a catcher.
9) Chick-fil-A is coming to New York City, which means it is only 148 miles from Armadillo World HQ. Actually, there is a Chick-fil-A in Albany Airport, but you have to go thru security to get to it, so only time I can eat there is when I fly to Las Vegas.
8) Dallas Cowboys sent WR Dez Bryant packing, which is what happens when you don’t run as fast as you used to. He has a reputation as a bad clubhouse guy; we’ll see where he catches on.
7) Paul Casey missed the cut at Harbourtown this week, ending his streak of 29 consecutive cuts made, which was the longest active streak on Tour.
6) Braves 4, Cubs 0— I know its early, I know the weather has mostly sucked so far, but Chicago is 6-7 and their lineup looks very bland. Anthony Rizzo is expected back next week
5) Much-improved baseball announcer; Braves’ TV guy Chip Caray has gotten so much better over the years; he is fun to listen to now. He is a little ornery about instant replay, but working with Joe Simpson, they’re a good team.
4) As the dust clears on Lonzo Ball’s rookie year in the NBA, we see that Ball averaged 10.2 ppg, 7.2 assists, 6.9 rebounds and 1.7 steals while shooting 36% from the floor, 30.5% from beyond the arc, while missing 30 of 82 games— he played 34.2 mpg in the 50 games he did play.
3) Seahawks signed Sebastian Janikowski to be their new kicker; he’ll see his old team Oakland next season. Raiders will see their old punter Marquette King twice a year since he is now a Denver Bronco.
2) Here in Albany, Siena gave basketball coach Jimmy Patsos $350K to take a hike after five years with the Saints. Patsos was 77-92 at Siena, 47-51 in MAAC games- he didn’t make the NCAA tournament. He did make the NCAA’s once in nine years as coach of Loyola, MD.
To get out of paying most of what they owed Patsos (he had 3 years left on his contract), the school dredged up some crummy things he did within the team— he was verbally abusive to a team manager, among other things.
Rumored replacements for Patsos: LeMoyne coach Patrick Beilein and Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara.
1— White Sox-Twins in Minnesota was snowed out Friday night and prospects for Saturday don’t look so good, either. Why didn’t they put a retractable dome on their new ballpark, like Milwaukee did?