13) Virginia 67, Louisville 66— Someone on Twitter Thursday night described this as the worst loss by any team, EVER!!!
— Louisville led by 4 with 0:05 left- they fouled a Virginia player shooting a 3 with 0:01 left.
— Virginia kid made two of three FT’s, Cardinals still lead by 2.
— Louisville has ball out-of-bounds with 0:00.9 left, up 2, but they can’t run baseline
— Louisville inbounder runs baseline- thats a turnover.
— Virginia banks in a 3-pointer at the buzzer to win the game. Oy.
12) Arizona State 84, California 53— Shooters get scholarship offers, and this is why; Cal was 0-18 on the arc in this game. Zero. for. 18. They were 19-78 in previous four games, so that is 19.8% over their last five games.
Kids who are prolific shooters get scholarships, because there aren’t that many of them.
11) Michigan 77, Nebraska 58— I have no sympathy for bubble teams that lose their first conference tournament game. Cornhuskers are 22-10 but will likely miss the NCAA’s- their non-conference schedule was ranked #272. Nebraska had Thursday off while Michigan played an OT game, but the Wolverines won this game easily.
10) Penn State 69, Ohio State 68— Buckeyes are 0-3 vs Penn State this year, 15-1 against the rest of their league. According to the Bracketology people on Twitter, Penn State still needs one more win to get into the field of 68.
9) St Peter’s 66, Rider 55— #9-seed Peacocks upset top-seeded Rider in beautiful downtown Albany. Broncs had won 15 of their last 17 games coming in. Such is March.
Quinnipiac 72, Canisius 69– Top two seeds in MAAC tourney are gone; whoever wins the conference title Monday night can pack their bags to Dayton for the play-in game.
8) Murray State 70, Jacksonville State 63— Racers were up 20 points, blew the lead, but then they scored last eight points of the game to advance to the OVC finals.
7) Football/baseball crossovers Friday:
— Tim Tebow batted cleanup for the Mets Friday; he went 1-3 as their DH.
— Russell Wilson pinch-hit for Aaron Judge and struck out in his only AB for the Bronx Bombers.
6) Baseball trivia: Last season, 99 switch-hitters appeared in major league games.
5) Bradley 63, Drake 61— Drake didn’t score for last 3:28 of this quarter-final game in the Missouri Valley Conference— they led by 8 at the half.
4) Davidson 63, Rhode Island 61— Rams started season 21-3, then went 2-3 in their last five games. Now they need to make a run in A-14 tourney to avoid being a suspect in NCAA’s.
Trivia: Davidson has players from seven different countries.
3) Tex-Arlington 85, Texas State 82— Arlington led 78-70, blew the lead, then Kevin Hervey drained a long 3-pointer with 0:00.9 left to hand Texas State their ninth loss in a row.
2) Princeton 78, Brown 63— With one night left in the season, there are three teams tied for the 4th and final spot in next week’s Ivy League tournament.
1— Liberty 69, NC-Asheville 64— Big upset in Big South, as top-seeded Asheville is shown the door. Liberty plays #2-seed Radford in the Big South final.