13) Genuinely weird stat: NFL quarterbacks making their first career start this year are 8-0 ATS, 4-3-1 SU. Sunday, Denver’s Brandon Allen, Washington’s Dwayne Haskins become QB’s #9-10 to make his first career start.
12) If you’re into betting NBA games, make damn sure you know Kawhi Leonard’s status before wagering on a Clippers’ game; that may sound obvious, but sometimes life is simple.
So far this season, the Clippers are +54 with Leonard on the floor, -26 with him off the floor.
11) There are 45 NBA players this season who are making $25M+.
10) In the Super Bowl era before this year, 25 teams started a season 8-0; of those 25 teams, 14 made it to the Super Bowl, going 8-6, with ’09 Saints the last 8-0 team to win a title. The seventeen 8-0 teams that made it to a conference title game went 14-3.
49ers and Patriots are 8-0 right now. 49ers and the 2013 Chiefs are the only teams in NFL history to start 8-0 after winning four or fewer games the previous season.
9) NFL teams with most snaps played by rookies this season:
— Giants 2,907
— Jaguars 2,417
— Raiders 2,352
8) NFL teams with most salary cap dollar on IR:
— Steelers $37.6M
— Jaguars $33.3M
— Texans $31.6M
7) Last six teams to play Game 7 of a finals series at home:
2019 Astros- lost to Washington
2019 Bruins- lost to St Louis
2017 Dodgers- lost to Houston
2016 Warriors- lost Cleveland
2016 Indians- lost to Chicago Cubs
2014 Royals- Lost to San Francisco
6) Wednesday night, Golden State was down 43-14 at home to the Phoenix Suns; they were down 37 at the half in Oklahoma Sunday. Going to be a long winter for the Warriors, who did win one of their first four games, but two really ugly losses in the first ten days of the season isn’t good.
Golden State could have a dismal year, get a lottery pick, then have Klay Thompson back next season and have themselves a contending team again in 2020-21. There is precedent for this……
From 1993-96, San Antonio won 55-62-59 games, then in ’96-’97, David Robinson got hurt and the Spurs went 20-62. They drafted a kid named Tim Duncan and haven’t missed the playoffs since then, winning five NBA titles.
5) Seattle Seahawks claimed WR Josh Gordon off waivers from New England. Talented yet troubled, the talented guys always get multiple chances.
4) CBS told golf analysts Gary McCord, Peter Kostis to take a hike; the two analysts have a combined 59 years of experience at CBS. CBS signed Davis Love III to replace McCord.
3) Last time 15th-ranked SMU was ranked this high in football? 1985.
2) From Mike Clay: New Orleans Saints’ WR Michael Thomas has 73 receptions in 8 games, which puts him on pace for 146 catches, which would break Marvin Harrison’s single-season record of 143 set in 2002.
Despite all that, Thomas doesn’t have a single end zone target this season; he’s scored four TD’s anyway. .
1) If I never hear the phrase “Quid Pro Quo” again, it’ll be too damn soon, except when Mr Chow says it in The Hangover, a very funny movie. Then its OK.