13) If you’re up late at night and love college basketball, FS1, ESPNU and AT&T Sportsnet (#684 on DirecTV) are your channels to watch- they generally show replays of games all night long.
12) Speaking of late night TV, one of the most underrated basketball movies was on after the UCLA game Thursday night— He Got Game, with Denzel Washington, Ned Beatty, Ray Allen in a movie about a big time college prospect whose father is in prison, but the warden promises to pardon him if he can talk his son into going to college at the governor’s alma mater.
Outstanding movie that is 20 years old now, but lot of it still resonates today.
11) Pac-12’s basketball season is on a fast track to the ashcan;
— Arizona State beat Kansas, then lost consecutive home games to Princeton/Utah.
— UCLA already fired its coach, despite Bruins making Sweet 16 three of last five years.
— Oregon’s best player Bol Bol is out for year, and those are the better teams in the league.
10) Steve Alford’s son Kory is still on UCLA’s staff as the video coordinator; that has to be at least a little awkward.
Am I the only person who finds it odd that the guy who replaced Alford as UCLA’s coach (Murry Bartow) is the son of the guy who replaced John Wooden as UCLA’s coach (Gene Bartow)?
9) Last 6 years: defending Super Bowl champ missed playoffs the next year three times. Other three teams won their first playoff game the next year, by 14-7-21 points.
8) College football stuff:
— West Virginia hired Troy coach Neal Brown (35-16 at Troy) as its new coach.
— QB Justin Fields transferred from Georgia to Ohio State.
— Oklahoma hired Alex Grinch as its new DC; hopefully they won’t have to play any games on Christmas the next few years.
7) Patrick Mahomes might be the NFL’s MVP this year, but he makes less than $2M a year, and by rule, he cannot re-negotiate his contract until 2020. Great value for the Chiefs for the next couple years. Then Mahomes figures to break the proverbial bank.
6) Knicks 119, Lakers 112— Lonzo Ball is shooting 45.0% on the foul line this year; how does that happen? Lonzo shot 67.3% from the line in his one year at UCLA, then shot 45.1% on line with the Lakers LY and is under 50% again this year. He needs a sports psychiatrist.
5) Pacers 119, Bulls 116, OT— Victor Oladipo banked in a straight-away 3-pointer with 0:00.3 left for the win, as Zach LaVine’s tying 3-ball was ruled to have come after the buzzer. Pacers are very quietly 26-12 and are the #3 seed in the East right now.
4) Nets 109, Grizzlies 100— Brooklyn won 11 of its last 14 games, is only half-game out of the last playoff spot in the East.
3) Penn State hoop coach Patrick Chambers has been suspended for Sunday’s game against Wisconsin for pushing one of his players during a timeout in Thursday’s loss to Michigan. it probably looked a lot worse than it was, but in today’s softer era, it didn’t look good.
2) Friday, someone at Monmouth Park in New Jersey wagered $275,000 to win $250,000 on the Cowboys to cover as 2-point favorites vs Seattle Saturday night. Yikes.
1) When you’re retired and can do anything you damn well please, one of the most important things to master is time management. If you’re not careful, it becomes easy to waste time.
There is an old saying: “We won’t all run out of money, but we’ll all run out of time.”
I enjoy exploring the Interweb, but where should I focus? There is an almost infinite amount of material on here, but lot of it is nonsense, so have to narrow things down and focus on that.
Hopefully you do the same, and don’t consider this site nonsense 🙂