13) In April, Nevada casinos made $16.3M on sports betting, $287.1M on penny slot machines.
12) Before Friday’s games:
Giancarlo Stanton’s OPS: .793
Johan Camargo’s OPS: .794
Stanton’s OPS was .950+ three of the last four years; two years ago, when Barry Bonds was the Marlins’ hitting coach and Stanton was awful for six weeks (he hit .180 in May/June), his OPS was still .815.
Have I mentioned that the Bronx ballpark is a bandbox compared to Miami’s? Oy.
11) Danny Farquhar threw out the first pitch at the White Sox game last night, which is great news; the young man suffered a brain aneurysm in the dugout during a game April 21, but is recovering and he hopes to be back pitching next season.
10) Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz qualified for the US Senior Open golf tournament; he is 51 years old. This is a tremendous achievement to be so good at two sports.
9) So apparently coaches have burner Twitter accounts to monitor what is going on with social media and their players. The Bryan Colangelo situation is just odd— seems like he got carried away and started tweeting stuff too, and now is trying to pawn the whole thing off on his wife.
My thought is that this will wind up costing Colangelo his job, which will make him a cautionary tale for all other coaches/executives.
8) According to Frank Isola of NYC newspaper fame, Cavaliers were +13 Thursday night, the most points a Lebron James-team has ever gotten in a game. Cavaliers covered; if you bet the under, send your complaints to JR Smith.
7) Dallas Cowboys have only three guys on their roster who are 30+ years old, and two of them are the kicker and long snapper.
6) South Alabama Jaguars of the Sun Belt added a graduate transfer this week, a combo guard who went to college in….Qatar— he is the first-ever foreign grad transfer.
5) Mets are scrambling to find the right offense/defense in their lineup- they’re playing Kevin Plawecki, a catcher, at 1st base Saturday against the Cubs. Jacob deGrom is pitching this game, which makes me queasy, since deGrom is the ace of my fantasy team.
4) Brian Schottenheimer is the new offensive coordinator for the Seahawks; an under-reported story is that lot of assistant football coaches are nomads- they bounce all over the country, from job to job. Must be really hard to have a normal family life that way.
3) Its still funny seeing older movies from 15-20 years ago where people don’t have cellphones yet- pay phones were in lot of movies. Do kids today even know what a pay phone is?
2) This week Scott Pruitt, the head of the EPA, spent $1,560 of taxpayer money buying 12 fountain pens. By way of contrast, I went to Staples this week and bought a box pf pens for like $6. His pens much be a lot nicer than mine.
1) I’m neither a Democrat or a Republican, but if Roseanne Barr got fired for her Tweet, then Samantha Bee should be told to take a hike for hers as well. Both crossed a line of decency that shouldn’t be tolerated. Fair is fair.