13) MLB cancelled the first week of spring training games, which is bad news; the two sides are going to negotiate every day next week, which is long overdue. Why haven’t they been doing this all along? If there isn’t a deal by March 1, then the start of the regular season figures to be delayed.
Lot of people plan vacations to Florida/Arizona in March, to see spring training.
12) After starting season 2-9 vs D-I teams, Long Beach State has caught fire, winning its last 11 games, covering last ten.
It has been ten years since Long Beach State was in NCAA Tournament; they were 18-26 in Big West games the last three years, but this year’s team is forcing turnovers 22.3% of time in conference games- they’re on a roll.
11) VCU 77, Richmond 57:
— Rams sweep cross-town rivalry this season
— VCU outscored Richmond 49-29 in second half.
10) Best NBA teams, against the spread:
— Memphis 39-20-1
— Oklahoma City 35-19-4
— Chicago 35-23-1
— Toronto 34-23
9) How basketball has changed:
Ten years ago, Orlando Magic averaged 27 3-point shots a game, most in the NBA.
This season, Chicago Bulls are averaging 29.8 3’s a game; thats 30th (last) in the NBA.
8) College football playoff is going to stay at four teams for the next four seasons; I’m not sure why. Am pretty confident an 8 or 12-team playoff would be very popular, but the bowl system is so entrenched. Having more meaningful games would be a good thing.
7) Last year, Tampa Bay Rays had 14 different pitchers earn a save, which is a lot; makes it tough if you’re in a fantasy league with saves as a category.
6) Tex-San Antonio 98, Southern Miss 79 OT— Not often a team wins by 19 in overtime, but the Roadrunners outscored Southern Miss 22-3 in OT, snapping a five-game losing skid. UTSA made 15-32 3-point shots; they trailed by 11 early on. Southern Miss has lost eight in a row.
5) Oklahoma City’s Josh Giddey is only second NBA rookie ever to have triple-doubles in three straight games, joining the great Oscar Robertson on that list.
4) Saw an ad on Twitter where Allegiant Stadium has a concert next September 9, with Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison and Joan Jett. September 9 is a Friday, two days before the NFL season starts, which leads me to believe that the Raiders are opening 2022 on the road.
3) St John’s 91, Butler 57:
— Red Storm was 11-22 on arc; they’re shooting only 32.8% on arc in Big East games.
— Butler is 6-10 in Big East, 40-50 the last five years. This is Butler’s ninth year in Big East; they’ve had three winning seasons in Big East conference games.
2) Yale 81, Pennsylvania 72:
— Bulldogs won seven games in row, lead Ivy League by a game.
1) Cleveland State 78, Milwaukee 71— Vikings maintain their one-game lead on top of the Horizon League standings.