13) Royals 8, Mariners 7:
— Salvador Perez hit a grand slam, his 36th homer this year.
— He already has 90 RBI, 10 more than any other season in his career.
— Seattle falls to 26-15 in one-run games.
12) White Sox 17, Cubs 13:
— Cubs scored six in top of the first, didn’t come close to winning. They’re awful.
Baseball’s commish needs to have a chat with the Cubs’ owner; it is complete BS and a horrible look for the sport that one of their marquee franchises (their TV network is called the Marquee Network) is completely in the tank- they’re a AAA-quality team.
What chance do the Cubs have of being any better next year? The year after? They’re not the A’s, Pirates or Rays; they’re in a freakin’ big market, have a lot of cash to spend.
11) Rays 6, Orioles 3— Tampa Bay is 16-1 vs Baltimore this season.
10) Tigers 2, Blue Jays 1— Pinch-hitter Victor Reyes hit an inside-the-park homer for the game-winning run in the 8th inning for Detroit.
9) Because the minor leagues started late this year, they will also end later; rosters will expand next week, but only to 28 players, not the 40-man limit like it used to be.
8) Cincinnati Reds acquired utility guy Asdrubel Cabrera on waivers from Arizona, adding a lefty bat and putting Moustakas/Suarez’ jobs at jeopardy at the hot corner. Of course Moustakas then hit a homer for the Reds last night. Losing your job is usually good motivation.
7) Jim Furyk is the only pro golfer to break 60 twice in tournament play; he even shot a 58 at the 2016 Travelers Championship.
6) Pac-12 isn’t going to expand, which opens the door for the Big X to add two teams to its current 8-team league (Texas/Oklahoma are leaving).
Do they look east, to Cincinnati/UCF or maybe even Houston, or do they look west and poach UNLV and Brigham Young? UNLV plays in brand-new Alliance Stadium now; their program should perk up.
5) Louisville’s basketball team suspended coach Chris Mack for six games as the result of an ugly incident where Mack wanted to fire an assistant coach, who then tried to extort money from the head coach or else he would provide evidence of recruiting violations by the Cardinals.
The suspension will cost Mack roughly $221,000.
4) Southwest Airlines lost 1,000 flight attendants to early retirement during the pandemic, now they’re short-staffed, as they try and get back to a regular schedule. I’m supposed to go to Las Vegas this fall, but if they keep jerking around my schedule, I’m going to change plans— they’ve switched my flights 6 or 7 times already.
3) Saturday’s Cardinals-Saints preseason game was cancelled because of the looming hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.
2) Jets 31, Eagles 31— Jets scored on a 49-yard Hail Mary on the last play, then tied the game with a 2-point play- there is no overtime in preseason. Rookie QB James Morgan threw the pass.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they do not):
NL: Braves, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: Cincinnati @ Los Angeles
AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: Boston @ New York