13) Dodgers 2, Giants 1— Trevor Bauer gets big road win, but in top of 6th inning, he hit what looked like a line drive single to RF with two on and two out, which would’ve broken the game open. Instead, SF rightfielder Mike Yastrzemski fielded the ball on one hop, threw him out at first base- end of rally. You don’t see that very often.
12) Tampa Bay 9, Toronto 7 (12)— Francisco Mejía hit a grand slam in the 12th inning as the Rays won their 8th game in a row; Toronto walked Joey Wendle intentionally to pitch to Mejia.
11) Texas 7, Houston 5 (10)— Rookie Adolis García sent most of the 30,445 fans home happy with a walk-off homer, his 12th homer this season. Texas blew a 4-1 lead in 8th inning, but they win for only second time in their last 11 games.
10) Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 1— Arizona has lost its last 11 road games.
9) Reds 9, Brewers 4— Jesse Winker went 4-4, scored four runs, hit three solo homers.
8) Mets 6, Marlins 5 (12)- Rookie Khalil Lee hit a tie-breaking RBI double in the 12th inning, his first major league hit. Mets put Pete Alonso (hand) on the IL before the game.
7) Memphis 117, Golden State 112, OT
— Grizzlies led by 13 at the half.
— Ja Morant scored 35 for Memphis.
— Warriors wore jerseys that said “Oakland”; the logo at midcourt said “Oakland”; if they want to be Oakland so bad, why did they build their new arena in San Francisco?
— Grizzlies move on to play Utah in the playoffs.
6) There is a new pro basketball league in Africa; there are 12 teams in it, representing seven countries. Some of the games are shown on NBA TV, in early-morning hours.
5) Whatever happened to Yoenis Cespedes? He didn’t play at all in 2019 because of a leg injury, then opted out of last season after only eight games. Is he retired?
He’ll be 36 in October; if he is healthy, he could still help a team, but haven’t heard his name much at all lately. Maybe next year, if NL teams can have the DH, he will re-surface.
4) I had forgotten that when Brett Favre won his only Super Bowl with the Packers, his backup that year was Jim McMahon, who won a Super Bowl with the ’85 Bears, 11 years earlier.
3) Pitcher Tyler Ivey made his MLB debut with Houston Friday; he is the 19,998th player in major league history.
2) Tampa Bay/Milwaukee made a trade Friday:
— Rays get P’s J.P. Feyereisen, Drew Rasmussen
— Brewers get SS Willie Adames, P Trevor Richards
1) Braves 20, Pirates 1— Atlanta is first team ever with 7+ homers and two grand slams in the same game.