13) Was watching a 1992 Florida-Georgia game on ESPNU Friday; Dick Vermeil was the analyst on the game, working with Roger Twibell. Florida had a sophomore DE named Kevin Carter and coach Vermeil told the story about how he talked with Carter at practice during the week and how he was a fine young man with a bright future. He was right.
Seven years later, coach Vermeil wins the Super Bowl coaching the Rams; one of his DE’s that night was none other than Kevin Carter, who the Rams drafted in the first round in 1995, before coach Vermeil got back into coaching. Small world.
Last week, ESPNU showed an NC State-North Carolina game from 1998; WR Torry Holt was being covered by CB Dre Bly. Both of those guys were also starters on the ’99 Rams.
12) Red Sox are re-hiring manager Alex Cora after his suspension from the Astros’ cheating scandal ended. Cora managed Boston for two years, winning the 2018 World Series.
11) Found something interesting on TV late Thursday night; the Spring League, which is a 6-team developmental football league, with all the games happening in the Alamodome in San Antonio. Games are played on Tuesday/Wednesdays. FS1 showed two of them Thursday.
79-year old Jerry Glanville is one of the coaches; former Ohio State QB JT Barrett is one of the quarterbacks. Games remind me a lot of the AAF/XFL the last two springs. Pretty good ball.
10) Remember the movie Invincible, the true story about the 30-year old bartender who tried out for the Eagles in 1976 and made the team? Vince Papale’s son Vinny is in this league, too. He scored a touchdown in Thursday’s game.
Team called the Alphas have a receiver named Deontez Alexander who was very impressive in their game Thursday; he spent the last two years on the Detroit Lions’ practice squad.
9) Word of the Day: Shenanigans— Secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering.
8) Billionaire hedge fund guy Steve Cohen took over the Mets Friday; one of his first moves was to dump the GM and most of the front office.
Mets went 112-110 in two years under GM Brodie Van Wagenen, but now will now install former GM Sandy Alderson as the head of their baseball operations department.
7) Miami 44, NC State 41:
— D’Eriq King threw for 430 yards, five TD’s.
— Wolfpack led 41-31 with 12:00 left to play.
— 6-1 Miami scored winning TD with 2:43 left.
6) San Jose State 28, San Diego State 17:
— Spartans are 3-0 for first time since 1982.
— San Jose’s QB got KO’d on the third play of the game.
— Backup QB Nash threw for 169 yards, ran for 53 more.
5) BYU 52, Boise State 17:
— Unbeaten Cougars improve to 8-0.
— Boise State played three different QB’s.
— This was only 2nd time in last 11 years that Boise was a home dog.
4) Players with most runs of 10+ yards this season:
20— Kareem Hunt, Clev
18— Kyler Murray, Az/Dalvin Cook, Minn
17— Derrick Henry, Tenn
16— Darrell Henderson, Rams
3) NFL teams with highest %age of their first downs coming on 3rd down plays:
2) NFL teams with lowest %age of their first downs coming on 3rd down plays:
1) In 1972, the Philadelphia Phillies were:
— 29-12 in games started by Steve Carlton
— 30-85 in all their other games.
One of the greatest season by any athlete, ever.