13) Tough year for high school athletes trying to get college scholarships; how do you get recruited when no one can watch you play? Will there be tryout camps this spring/summer?
Also tough for coaches who need to win to keep their jobs; hard to win without good players. We’ll see how this shakes out once things hopefully settle down some in the spring.
12) When the SEC originally made their football schedule, they left December 12 blank; now there are six games slotted in that day, as teams postpone games because of COVID. The SEC title game is December 19, but now the league has four other games scheduled that day, too.
11) Couple of friends and I were debating the best days of the year to have a birthday; I came up with these three days:
— December 31— Lot of people throw parties, everyone stays up late for you and the next day is a day off.
— January 1— You have the day off, and there are lot of football games on.
— July 4— Good weather, and people shoot off fireworks to celebrate your big day.
10) Over their last four games, Washington’s NFL team has outscored opponents 78-19 in the second half. Alex Smith has provided stability at quarterback.
9) Marquette 67, Wisconsin 65:
— Marquette tapped in a missed foul shot at the buzzer for the win.
— 6-7 freshman Lewis scored 18 points off the bench for Marquette.
8) Virginia 71, Kent State 64 OT:
— Kent State hit a 3-pointer at buzzer to send the game to OT
— Virginia outscored the Golden Flashes 22-5 on the foul line.
7) Japanese pitching ace Tomoyuki Sugano will become a free agent soon; will be the fourth Asian player posted for bidding this offseason. Sugano has been the best starting pitcher in Japan’s NPB since Masahiro Tanaka left Japan seven years ago.
6) Southern Mississippi hired Tulane’s offensive coordinator Will Hall as its new football coach.
5) There have already been nine bowl games cancelled, including the Sun Bowl in El Paso, which had been played every year since 1935.
4) Louisiana 24, Appalachian State 21:
— Ragin’ Cajuns beat App State for first time in nine tries.
— ASU missed a 30-yard FG on last play that would’ve tied game.
3) Going to be lot of basketball on TV Christmas Day; NBA has five games on ESPN/ABC, while there are also four college games from the Big 14 that day.
2) Baltimore Ravens put Robert Griffin III on IR Friday, leaving Trace McSorley as the only QB on their active roster; Lamar Jackson can come off the COVID list Sunday- Baltimore’s next game is Tuesday. Utah alum Tyler Huntley is on their practice squad, if Jackson isn’t activated.
1) Felt terrible Friday reading about Timberwolves’ star Karl-Anthony Towns losing seven of his relatives to COVID-19, including his mother, who passed in March and an uncle, who died two days ago. Towns’ father also had COVID, but thankfully he recovered.