13) Bengals 31, Ravens 27— An epic gag by Baltimore, giving up a 49-yard TD pass with 0:41 left on a 4th-and-12 play that puts Buffalo in the playoffs and knocks the Ravens out. Bills are in the playoffs for the first time since 1999.
12) Falcons 22, Panthers 10— Atlanta is in, Seattle is out; Falcons visit the Los Angeles Coliseum next week to play the Rams.
11) Buccaneers 31, Saints 24— Tampa Bay scored on a 38-yard TD pass with 0:09 left to beat the Saints, who will now host Carolina next week in the playoffs, as the #4 seed.
10) Titans 15, Jaguars 10— If you’re Jacksonville, how do you feel about going to the playoffs with two consecutive losses? Meaningless losses, but still…….
Titans visit Kansas City next week in the playoffs.
9) Cowboys 6, Eagles 0— First NFL game in ten years that was 0-0 after three quarters. Eagles’ #3 QB Nate Sudfeld wasn’t horrible in his NFL debut.
8) Patriots 26, Jets 6— With 10:28 to play and down 24-3, the Jets kicked a 35-yard FG. This was the only game that was still going on at 4:05 ET— Week 17 games tend to go faster. Game ended at 4:10, leaving 15 minutes of dead air before the late games started.
7) Colts 22, Texans 13— Houston GM Rick Smith is taking a leave of absence to help care for his wife, who was recently diagnosed with cancer. No one is saying if he’ll be back in his job as GM; there were rumors that Smith and coach Bill O’Brien weren’t getting along well, to the point that one of them would have to leave the Texans. We’ll see.
6) Chargers 30, Raiders 10— This is how fragile success in the NFL is; Raiders were 12-4 last year. Now they might be totally cleaning house, 12 short months later.
Oakland hasn’t ended the regular season with a win since 2009- Jack Del Rio told a writer he was fired before I got the game’s stats written in my notebook.
5) Cardinals 26, Seahawks 24— Arizona won four of its last five visits to Seattle; Cardinals will have a hard time finding a head coach as good as Bruce Arians was.
4) Chiefs 27, Broncos 24— This game was first time since 1987 that the Chiefs won a game that was QB’d by a player they drafted— 30 years !!! Todd Blackledge was the QB in ’87; this game was won by rookie Patrick Mahomes, and now Alex Smith can get traded to the Browns, after the Chiefs lose in the playoffs.
3) Steelers 28, Browns 24— Cleveland has the 1st and 4th picks in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft— maybe they should call Kevin Costner to make the picks for them (movie reference).
Cleveland just went 1-31 the last two years; the NFL should demand that one of their first round picks be a quarterback, just so the fans don’t get even more depressed.
2) Vikings 23, Bears 10— Minnesota gets #1 seed in NFC; if they win two home playoff games, they’ll play the Super Bowl on their home field.
1) NFL playoff picture:
AFC: Patriots/Steelers get byes. WC games: Titans @ Chiefs, Bills @ Jaguars
NFC: Eagles/Vikings get byes. WC games: Falcons @ Rams, Panthers @ Saints