13) Chargers 23, Ravens 17— Baltimore’s offense was totally inept for three quarters, then Lamar Jackson came alive in 4th quarter; after being down 23-3, Ravens had ball in last 2:00 with shot at a miraculous comeback, but Jackson fumbled ball away and the Chargers advance.
Same referee worked the Ravens-Chargers game in LA two weeks ago; end of 3rd quarter and beginning of 4th were dominated by the replay official, who had couple of tough calls to make and didn’t necessarily get them right.
12) Chargers are 9-0 this season outside of LA; they go to Foxboro next Sunday, their third straight week on the road.
11) Eagles 16, Bears 15— Chicago missed a 43-yard FG with 0:05 left; ball clanked off the left upright, then hit the crossbar and bounced back, as the defending champs posted an upset win.
Eagles trailed 15-10 but drove 80 yards in 12-plays, scoring winning TD on a 4th-down pass with 0:56 left. Nick Foles may soon be called Mr January.
Eagles visit New Orleans next Sunday; Dallas plays the Rams in LA Saturday night.
10) Foles’ restructured contract pays him $500k for playing 33% of snaps in a playoff game and another $500k if the Eagles win that game, so he banked $1M Sunday night.
9) Kansas Jayhawks’ star Udoka Azubuike is out for the season with a torn ligament in his right hand, very bad news for the Jayhwawks’ national title hopes.
8) Minnesota Timberwolves fired coach/GM Tom Thibodeau Sunday, after the Timberwolves beat the Lebron-less Lakers; not sure how teams in smaller NBA markets are supposed to win- they traded their best player to Philly, then fired their coach a few weeks later. What coach are they hiring to turn things around?
7) Early lines on next week’s NFL games:
— Kansas City -5.5 (56.5) vs Indianapolis
— Rams -7 (49.5) vs Dallas
— New England -4.5 (47.5) vs LA Chargers
— New Orleans -9 (51) vs Philadelphia
6) Houston 90, Memphis 77— Kelvin Sampson’s Cougars are 15-0, best team in the AAC.
5) Temple 85, Wichita State 81 OT— Owls scored last 11 points of regulation, then won game in OT. Third straight loss for a young Wichita team, tough one to bounce back from- they led by 13 at the half.
4) Xander Schauffele shot a final round 62, won the Tournament of Champions in Kapalua Sunday, by a shot over Gary Woodland, in the first PGA Tour event of 2019.
3) Quote of the Day, part 2, from Lakers’ coach Luke Walton; he is talking about Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram:
“They’re trying, but they’re young. At some point, we need more passion. We need more fight. And that’s not scoring more. That’s more diving for loose balls, communicating loudly, grabbing [rebounds].
“Brandon had some really nice crack-back rebounds tonight that we can get out and run [from]. We need that all the time from him. So, it’s not just them, but until we get healthy again, you got to play in this league with some passion and fire. It’s hard to win in this league when you are healthy. So you need to double that effort when guys are down.”
2) Cleveland Cavaliers signed G Patrick McCaw to a two-year, $6M deal; his old team (Golden State) didn’t match the deal, but then Cleveland waived McCaw Sunday, after only three games, apparently hoping to sign him for a much lower salary later on. Had they just offered him the lower salary right away, the Warriors would’ve been more likely to have matched the offer.
1) Right now, looks like the Oakland Raiders will have the 4th, 24th and 27th picks in April’s draft, which takes place in Nashville. Raiders have Bears’/Cowboys’ first round picks in that draft, as result of trading Kahlil Mack and Amari Cooper.