13) San Diego Padres traded three minor league prospects to Pittsburgh for all-star 2B Adam Frazier, who is hitting .324 this season, and is under team control thru 2022.
Trade deadline is Saturday; should be an interesting week.
12) Padres are 1-6 in last seven games where winning run scored in last 3 innings; they’re 10-18 in their last 28 road games. Frazier is expected to be a super-utility guy; he’ll be a big help.
Seattle Mariners won their last ten games where winning run scored in last 3 innings.
11) France 83, USA 76— Not good.
— France ended game on a 16-2 run over final 3:41.
— Americans shot 36.2% from floor, were out-rebounded 42-37.
— Evan Fournier scored 28 points for France.
10) Baseball injuries:
— Dodgers put OF Mookie Betts (hip) on IL
— Phillies put OF Travis Jankowski on IL
— Tampa Bay put P Collin McHugh (fatigue) on IL
— Arizona put IF/OF Josh Rojas (finger) on IL.
9) Boston 5, New York 4:
— Red Sox had no hits thru 7 innings, trailed 4-0.
— Red Sox scored five runs in bottom of the 8th.
— Boston leads Tampa Bay a game, New York by 9 games in AL East.
8) Astros 3, Rangers 1— Texas has lost 12 games in row, its worst losing streak since 1982.
7) Mets 5, Blue Jays 4:
— Newly-acquired Rich Hill allowed 3 runs in 5+ IP (62 PT) in his Mets debut.
— Hill is pitching for his 11th team in a 17-year career.
— Jeff McNeil got the game-winning hit in the 6th inning.
6) Pitchers who got the most called strikes in a game this year:
31— Kwang Hung Kim (StL) @ CWS— Bellino was umpire
Kyle Hendricks (Chi) @ Det— Hoberg
Adam Wainwright (StL) vs Chicago— Bacchus
Jorge Lopez (Balt) vs Hst— TBarrett
30— Zach Eflin (Phil) @ StL— Baker
29— Lance McCullers (Hst) vs A’s— May
Adam Wainwright (StL) vs Colorado— Reynolds
5) There is a 13-hour time difference between Tokyo and New York; lot of the events at the Olympics are being held while most of us are asleep.
4) Word of the Day: Quotidian
Never heard the word before I saw it on Twitter- it basically means “ordinary” or “typical”
3) Most home runs by a Cincinnati Reds player vs St Louis:
46— Frank Robinson
32— Joey Votto
31— Wally Post
30— Ted Kluszewski
2) One of the fun parts of watching re-runs of The West Wing on my laptop is seeing all the great actors that worked on that show, even for short periods of time.
Alan Alda, Brian Dennehy, Marlee Matlin, Tim Matheson; the list goes on and on, and they were just in the show for parts of a season or two.
— Mark Harmon did 4 episodes as a Secret Service agent.
— Ed O’Neill did 4 episodes as the governor of Pennsylvania
— Connie Britton did 4 episodes- the list of great actors in this show is impressive.
1) If the playoffs started today (they don’t):
NL— Red Sox, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card- Oakland @ Tampa Bay
AL— Mets, Reds, Giants. Wild Card- San Diego @ Los Angeles