13) Patrick Cantlay won the Memorial golf tournament in Ohio Sunday, winning in a playoff against Colin Morikawa. Cantlay banked a cool $1.7M for the win, but that wasn’t the biggest golf story this weekend.
Jon Rahm led this tournament by six strokes after the third round, but he tested positive for COVID twice and had to withdraw. Guy leads by six strokes after three rounds, he ain’t going to lose; testing positive cost him $1.7M, plus a few more weeks on the bench.
12) Orioles’ OF Cedric Mullins went 5-5 with two homers Saturday, becoming the third Oriole ever to do that- Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken Jr were the others. Thats Oriole royalty there.
Mullins is a vastly improved player this season, hitting .322 with a .923 OPS. Coming into this season, he was a career .225 hitter in 374 career AB’s.
11) Atlanta Falcons are going to trade 32-year old WR Julio Jones to Tennessee, getting draft picks in the 2nd/4th round in exchange.
New Falcons coach Arthur Smith had been an assistant coach in Tennessee the last 10 years, so its an interesting deal.
Arthur Smith trivia: His father is the founder/CEO of FedEx. He is really, really rich.
10) Milwaukee 2, Arizona 0— Diamondbacks have lost 17 straight road games.
9) Reds 8, Cardinals 7— Cincinnati led 7-0, blew the lead, then won when Jesse Winker hit his third homer of the game in the 9th inning. Reds swept this four-game series.
8) Rays 7, Rangers 1— Texas has lost 11 of its last 12 games.
7) Clippers 126, Mavericks 111 (LA wins series 4-3)
— First game in series where home side won
— Kawhi Leonard scored 28, had 10 boards, nine assists.
— Luka Doncic scored 46 in a losing cause.
6) Hawks 128, 76ers 124 (Atlanta leads 1-0)
— Joel Embiid scored 39 while playing with torn meniscus in his knee.
— Hawks were 20-47 on the arc, 24-39 inside the arc.
— Ben Simmons was 3-10 on the foul line; this will never not bother me, how a player of his skill can be so putrid on the foul line.
5) Andy Dalton is Chicago Bears’ new QB, until rookie Josh Fields is ready to go; Dalton has been in NFL for 10 years, has a 74-66-2 record, playing for 7 different offensive coordinators.
4) Former NBA great Gary Payton is going to be the basketball coach at Lincoln U, which is in Oakland and doesn’t yet have a basketball team. Their eventual goal is to be a Division I team; Payton has never coached, which is no big deal.
Must admit, I’ve never heard of Lincoln U, until now.
3) Phillies 12, Giants 6— Game was delayed in the 8th inning when the protective netting behind the plate on the first base side fell down. Took them a decent amount of time to get the netting back up. Naturally, they were booed by the fans when things were going slowly.
2) Orlando Magic fired coach Steve Clifford, who was 96-131 in three years there, making the playoffs the last two seasons, but not this one.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
NL- Mets, Mil or Cubs, Giants. Wild Card: Dodgers @ Padres
AL- Rays, White Sox, A’s. Wild Card: Astros @ Red Sox