13) Opening line for the Super Bowl: Chiefs -3, total of 57
12) Buccaneers are the first team other than a #1 or #2-seed to make the Super Bowl since the #4-seed Ravens won the Super Bowl eight years ago. Last time a #5-seed made the Super Bowl was 2007, when the Giants won the Super Bowl.
11) Why do NFL studio shows have five people? Halftimes are 12-15 minutes; there isn’t enough time for everyone to make valid points. Should have a host, two former players/analysts on for halftimes and add a gambling/fantasy guy for pre-game shows.
10) Rutgers 74, Indiana 70:
— Scarlet Knights win for 2nd time in last eight games.
— Indiana made 10-16 on arc, only 14-40 inside arc.
9) Detroit Lions hired former Chargers’ coach Anthony Lynn as defensive coordinator.
8) I had Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Sunday, first time in a long time; Pretty, pretty good.
7) More disappointing TV news: Weeks before the planned start of spring training, MASN is reportedly going to cut back their Orioles and Nationals TV coverage this season, getting rid of pre-game and post-game shows. MASN also plans to slash studio coverage for both teams, and greatly reduce spring training broadcasts.
6) Boston Red Sox gave P Garrett Richards $10M for one year; in 2014-15, he went 28-16 as one of the Angels’ best pitchers, but has had a lot of physical problems since then, going 8-12 the last five years combined.
Bronx acquired P Jameson Taillon from Pittsburgh, for four prospects; Taillon has had two Tommy John surgeries, hasn’t pitched since July, 2019.
Reliever Brad Hand agreed to 1-yr, $10.5M contract with Washington.
5) CNN has a weekend anchor named Pamela Brown; her mom is Phyllis George, who was on the NFL Today for three years in the Brent Musburger days, in the mid-70’s. Phyllis George was Miss America in 1971.
Pamela Brown’s father is John Y Brown, who built KFC into a multimillion-dollar restaurant chain; he was also governor of Kentucky from 1979-83. When the Browns got married, the ceremony was performed by Norman Vincent Peale, a minister/author who was best known for writing The Power of Positive Thinking.
4) John Y Brown owned the Kentucky Colonels of the ABA, who were really good- Hubie Brown was their coach, but John Brown took $3M to fold the Colonels when the NBA absorbed four ABA teams in 1976. Brown later became owner of the Buffalo Braves, then traded the Braves for the Celtics (this is just before Larry Bird got to Boston), so the Braves’ new owner could move the team to San Diego, where they became the Clippers.
3) Tampa Bay 31, Green Bay 26:
— Buccaneers advance to Super Bowl for first time since 2002.
— Both teams converted over half their 3rd down plays.
— Brady will be starting his 10th Super Bowl
— Tampa Bay will be first team to play a Super Bowl on its home field.
2) 1979 Rams played the Super Bowl in Pasadena, which is basically LA but it wasn’t the Rams’ home field. 1984 49ers played the Super Bowl at Stanford Stadium, again right in their home area, but not their home field- that was the year they beat Dan Marino’s Dolphins.
1) Chiefs 38, Bills 24:
— Buffalo led this game 9-0 early on.
— Chiefs’ first drive: 3 plays, 6 yards, punt.
— Chiefs’ next 6 drives: 53 plays, 420 yards, 5 TDs, one FG