13) Sunday, there was lot of action in late innings:
— Mets scored 6 runs in 9th inning
— Milwaukee scored 5 runs in 9th inning
— Cleveland scored 5 runs in 9th inning
— Seattle scored 7 runs in 11th inning.
Sunday was first day since 1940 that four teams scored 5+ runs in 9th inning or later.
12) Notre Dame 41, Florida State 38 (OT)
— FSU outscored Notre Dame 18-0 in 4th quarter to force OT
— Seminoles’ kicker missed a 38-yard FG in OT.
— FSU QB Milton came off bench to spark the rally; he hadn’t played in over two years, since a severe leg injury while he played for Central Florida.
11) Zeb Noland played QB for South Carolina Saturday; he threw four TD passes in Carolina’s win over a I-AA team Saturday, but here’s the thing: Noland is supposed to be a graduate assistant coach this year, not a player. But he played well Saturday.
The kid who is supposed to be the Gamecocks’ QB is hurt; the backup isfrom a I-AA school, so Noland got the nod to start- he played previously at Iowa State, North Dakota State.
10) Dallas Cowboys star G Zack Martin has COVID, is out for this week’s game in Tampa.
9) Big Sky football teams went 8-0 ATS vs I-A teams this weekend; seven of the eight teams were underdogs of 19+ points. Eastern Washington covered as a small favorite at UNLV.
8) Detroit took young pitcher Casey Mize out Sunday after three IP, 34 PT- they’re just trying to preserve his arm for next year. Several teams are doing this, trying to keep their guys healthy heading into the offseason.
7) Brewers 6, Cardinals 5— Daniel Vogelbach with a pinch-hit, walk-off grand slam.
6) Chicago White Sox are 6-7-2 in their last 15 series; they were 16-7-6 in their first 29 series.
5) Last week, Adam Wainwright started his 300th career game with Yadier Molina behind the plate; that’s the 4th-most starts for one battery in MLB history.
Mickey Lolich threw 324 games with Bill Freehan behind the plate; they hold the record.
4) Here is some guarantee money visiting teams got this weekend:
$1.9M— Kent State @ Texas A&M
$1.8M— Akron @ Auburn
$1.685M— UL-Monroe @ Kentucky
$1.55M—- Florida Atlantic @ Florida
Losing can be profitable.
3) Clemson lost Saturday night without allowing an offensive TD; last time they did that was 1983, when they also lost to Georgia, whose only TD came on a blocked punt.
2) Today is Labor Day, and one college football coach has already announced his retirement. UConn’s Randy Edsall is gone after this season. Huskies’ football program is a mess; they’ll be looking for a head coach with New England recruiting ties.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today: (they do not):
NL: Braves, Brewers, Giants Wild Card: San Diego @ Los Angeles
AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: Boston @ Bronx