13) Here’s a new one: Michigan basketball star Zavier Simpson was suspended for a game last week, after he crashed/wrecked a car at 3am on a weeknight that belonged to a student manager of the basketball team, who also happens to be the athletic director’s son. Oy.
12) Cincinnati 80, Wichita State 79— Wichita’s arena opened on March 1, 1958, when a Cincy player named Oscar Robertson scored 58 points. 62 years later, that is still the single-game arena scoring record, which is cool.
This was a great game, by the way; lot of back/forth in last 2:00.
Bearcats are now tied with Houston atop the AAC standings, at 8-2.
11) Belmont 71, Murray State 64— Murray/Austin Peay were both 10-0 in OVC, but both lost tonight, so now Belmont is only two games out of first, Eastern Kentucky is one game out.
10) Western Kentucky 65, Louisiana Tech 54— These teams are now tied for 2nd in C-USA, a game behind North Texas, which won by 5 at Middle Tennessee.
9) Charleston 68, Wm & Mary 50— Cougars take over first place in CAA at 9-3; Tribe lost four of last six games after starting out CAA play 6-0.
8) Montana 92, Eastern Washington 82— Grizzlies take over first place in Big Sky; they lead EWU and Northern Colorado by a half-game each.
7) Thursday night upsets:
— Pacific (+8.5) 60, San Francisco 48
— Eastern Kentucky (+7) 91, Eastern Illinois 84
— Rice (+6,5) 86, UAB 72
— UTSA (+6) 85, Old Dominion 81
— Louisiana (+5) 80, Georgia State 78
— Rio Grande Valley (+5) 73, UMKC 60
— UConn (+4.5) 72, Tulsa 56
6) Wright State 98, Detroit Mercy 86— John Calipari’s son Brad is a grad transfer for Detroit, which is 6-18, 4-7 in Horizon games. Young Calipari is shooting 40% on the arc for the season, playing around 18:00/game.
5) Utah 64, Stanford 56 OT— Wheels are falling off for Cardinal, who’ve lost four of last five games after a 15-2 start. Utes outscored Stanford 16-4 on foul line.
4) Pacific 60, San Francisco 48— Damon Stoudamire is doing a damn fine job at Pacific, which is 18-8 overall, 6-4 in WCC. Tigers’ last winning season was seven years ago, when veteran coach Bob Thomason retired after a 22-13 season.
3) Stetson 65, Florida Gulf Coast 62— Hatters won six of last seven games, are 7-3 in A-Sun; Stetson’s last winning basketball season was 19 years ago. First-year coach Donnie Jones should get some votes for national Coach of the Year, he’s done that good a job.
2) This is Jae Crowder’s 8th year in the NBA; he’s already been traded six times.
1) Weird story from Dallas, where SMU women’s basketball coach Travis Mays is in trouble after eight players talked about an abusive culture instilled by the Mustangs’ head coach, whom the players say told them to kill themselves if they weren’t going to compete during a practice two years ago. Yikes.