13) Jared Goff makes his NFL debut against Miami Sunday; Dolphins won/covered their last four games, so this’ll be an interesting challenge for the #1 pick in the draft.
If I’m calling plays, we let him chuck one deep on first play, just to send a message to defensive coordinators- the kid has a gun.
12) Big weekend in LA, with USC-UCLA in Rose Bowl Saturday; last nine of these rivalry games were decided by 10+ points. Bruins won three of last four meetings, but USC is the hot team right now.
11) Green Bay is in free fall, losing last three games while allowing 111 points- they were down 35-10 in 2nd quarter in Nashville LW. Redskins are 5-1-1 in last seven games after an 0-2 start- interesting Sunday night game.
10) Xavier-Clemson is an excellent college hoop game at 1:30 today from down in Orlando. This was supposed to be the Puerto Rico tournament but was moved to the Disney Wide World of Sports, due to concerns about the Zika virus.
Other semi-final in Orlando is Northern Iowa-Oklahoma.
9) Stanford beat California the last six years; Golden Bears’ defense has apparently gone on strike- they’ve been terrible last three weeks, but this is a bitter rivalry.
8) Detroit Lions are a 7-point favorite over Jacksonville; all nine Lions games have been decided by 7 or less points. Detroit has trailed in 4th quarter of every game.
7) As payment for being allowed to play ACC basketball, Notre Dame has to play so many ACC teams in football every year. This week is their first meeting with Virginia Tech; should be a fun game.
6) In its last three games, Tennessee averaged 12.2/7.3/9.8 yards/pass attempt- they’ve averaged 32 pts/game in their last six games, but Titans are 4-23 against the Colts, losing last eight visits here.
5) Underdogs won all three Duke-Pittsburgh games SU and two of them were wild shootouts (51-48/55-52). Panthers pulled a huge upset at Clemson last week; now they’re favored to win.
4) Minnesota is 5-4 after starting season 5-0; now Cardinals come limping into the Twin Cities at 4-4-1, in a pivotal game for both sides. That first round pick the Vikings dealt for San Bradford is beginning to look like it might’ve been too much.
3) West Virginia is a home underdog despite having only one loss this season; Oklahoma’s defense isn’t so good, but Sooners have won seven games in row, with only three of those at home.
2) Washington State-Colorado is the under-the-radar game of the week; both teams are vastly improved the last couple of years— this could be a preview of the Pac-12 title game.
1) Oakland-Houston play in Mexico City Monday night, where I’m guessing the locals weren’t too excited about our elections last week. Wonder if the 7-2 Raiders are regretting giving up a home game, now that they’re contenders?