13) After watching two nights of college hoop, my #1 question is this; if the longer 3-point shot reduces the impact of outside shooting, will that result in fewer upsets?
12) Virginia 48, Syracuse 34— Teams shot a combined 33-104 (9-54 on arc) from the floor in a Wednesday night game that probably had James Naismith rolling over in his grave.
I’m thinking the ACC won’t be playing conference games in early November next year.
11) Raiders 26, Chargers 24:
— Rivers threw five INTs; two were negated by penalties.
— On their last drive, Rivers was 0-8 passing with an INT; a holding penalty gave them a 1st down.
— This was Chargers’ 5th game this year decided by 3 or fewer points, or in OT.
10) If you have Kawhi Leonard on your NBA fantasy team, know that he won’t be playing back/back nights this season, which sucks for fans who pay serious money to watch games.
9) Under is 69-66 in NFL games so far this season.
Panthers, Buccaneers and Lions have been the best over teams (6-2). Chargers had been the best under team (2-7…..now 3-7).
8) Niagara Purple Eagles removed the interim tag: Greg Paulus is their new basketball coach
7) Washington Redskins put OT Trent Williams on the non-football injury list, ending his 2019 season, and saving the Redskins the $6M Williams would’ve been paid the rest of the season.
When the Redskins trade Williams this winter, the schedule-makers should take note and put that team against Washington on national TV next season.
6) Best over teams in the NBA so far:
Dallas, New Orleans: 6-1
5) Best under teams in the NBA so far:
Oklahoma City 1-6
4) Colorado became the 19th state to legalize some form of sports betting.
3) NBA fined the LA Clippers $50,000 after Doc Rivers said Kawhi Leonard was “healthy” on Wednesday, when he sat out. NBA originally must have believed that Leonard has a legit health issue, but then they looked bad when Rivers said Leonard is fine.
Has to be frustrating for fans to pay serious money to watch games, then have healthy players skip the game. Leonard makes $399,292 per game; if you’re healthy, play.
2) From John Templon’s database of mid-major coaching salaries in college basketball:
Tenn-Martin coach Anthony Stewart receives an automatic 4-year contract extension if :
— he wins more than 50% of his games
— finishes in the top four of the OVC standings
— finishes in the top two in the OVC West standings, or
— makes the conference semifinals.
1) 49ers’ kicker Robbie Gould has a strained quad, is doubtful for Monday night’s game with Seattle. San Francisco signed K Chase McLaughlin (recently cut by Chargers) to replace Gould if he can’t go Monday night.