13) When I shop on the Interweb, it is a little eerie how the sites where I shop suddenly show up in ads when I surf the Web from that point on. Its like you’re getting stalked by people who watch where you visit on the Interweb. Who would care where I go?
12) Did Arizona State really pay Todd Graham $12M to go away, just so they could hire Herm Edwards as their new coach? I mean, UCLA paid Jim Mora to take a hike, but they wound up hiring Chip Kelly, which should pay off down the road. Herm Edwards has never coached in college football; maybe he’ll be great. We’ll see.
11) Cowboys 38, Redskins 14— Alfred Morris is only second RB ever to run for 100+ yards in Redskin-Cowboy games, for both Dallas and Washington. Duane Thomas was the first player to do that.
10) UConn 77, Columbia 73 OT— Red flag for the Huskies; if they need OT to beat a second-tier Ivy League team, could be a long winter— fans in the Nutmeg State aren’t used to long winters.
By way of reminder, 75-year old Jim Calhoun will be coaching a D-III team next winter.
9) Current list of college football coaches who will get raises/improvments from their current employer, just because they didn’t bolt when another school showed interest in them:
— Matt Campbell, Iowa State
— Dave Doeren, NC State
— Jeff Brohm, Purdue
— David Cutcliffe, Duke
8) Baylor’s basketball team loses Terry Maston until conference play starts; he was averaging 11.7 ppg, 7.7 rpg.
7) Kansas only has 8 scholarship basketball players right now; they’ll get ASU transfer Sam Cunliffe eligible later in December, but they also added a tight end from the football team to be a practice player.
6) You know you’re watching a TV broadcast from the Midwest when the game’s stats are sponsored by Purina Dog Chow, the way they were on the UNLV-Northern Iowa broadcast on ESPN3 Wednesday night.
5) Speaking of UNLV, coach Marvin Menzies has a goal of 35 deflections per game, which means if you’re watching the game, look and see if they deflect a pass every two possessions or so.
4) Ben Simmons took 24 foul shots in the 4th quarter Wednesday, as the Wizards played Hack-a-Ben in their 118-113 loss in Philly. Simmons was 15-29 on the foul line— he needs to improve his shooting. 24 foul shots in one quarter by one player is a new NBA record.
3) Atlanta Braves traded reliever Jim Johnson to the Angels for a minor leaguer; Johnson used to be a good closer for the Orioles, but over the last four years, his WHIP has been:
2014: 1.95, 2015: 1.46, 2016: 1.19, 2017: 1.48. Not good.
Amazing he is still in the major leagues.
2) Georgia’s 20-19 win over Notre Dame in September is their only game this season that was decided by less than 14 points; they’re playing Auburn in SEC title game tomorrow- Auburn is only team to beat the Dawgs this year- they beat Georgia 40-17 on November 11.
1) Bowl bids come out Sunday; will be interesting to see where Florida State winds up, and if Jimbo Fisher will still be coaching them. Three recruits already de-committed from FSU, when word of Texas A&M’s dalliance with Fisher hit the Interweb.