13) Memphis Tigers’ freshman C James Wiseman declared for the NBA Draft, so his college career is over, almost before it started. Wiseman played three games for Memphis.
12) NBA needs to re-instate the rule in where kids can go right from high school to the NBA, then kids who want to play college ball will do that, and other kids can gamble on their future by going straight to the pros.
12) Auburn 79, NC State 73— Wolfpack PG Johnson has the ball A LOT, but if you’re going to dominate the ball, you can’t go 4-10 on foul line in a close, physical game. This was an NCAA tournament-style game, and Auburn remains unbeaten, avenging LY’s loss to NC State.
11) ESPN had the NC State-Auburn game Thursday; Jimmy Dykes was the analyst, and in the first half, Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn was a guest on the broadcast.
Turns out that 25 years ago, Dykes was the AD at Shiloh Christian School in Arkansas and he had to hire a football coach. He hired Malzahn, and the two have been friends since. Imagine going from being a high school coach to making seven figures coaching in the SEC?
10) Rockets 122, Clippers 117— LA had 69 points at halftime, leading by 15, but Rockets stormed back and outscored Clippers 36-18 in 3rd quarter. Harden had 28 points, 10 assists; Capela was +27 in 39:00, meaning Rockets were outscored by 22 points in 9:00 he sat out.
9) Seton Hall 52, Maryland 48— Red flag for Maryland, since Pirates were playing without their two best players. Terps shot 29% inside arc, 5-21 on arc. Not good.
8) Major league pitcher Wade Miley got pounded at the end of last season, after being pretty good prior to September; one day in late September he gets a text from a former teammate, which says: “Check your glove”
Turns out Miley was tipping his pitches, and the former teammate could see it. Miley signed a two-year deal with the Reds this winter; we’ll see if that was the only problem he had.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Brewers gave 2B Eric Sogard a 1-year, $4.5M deal, 1B Justin Smoak to a 1-year, $5M deal.
— Angels signed P Julio Teheran to a 1-year, $9M deal.
6) Stanford QB K.J. Costello has entered the NCAA transfer portal; he started 25 games for the Cardinal the last three years- he’ll be a graduate transfer.
5) Owners of pro teams shouldn’t be eligible for the Hall of Fame in that sport; those honors should be reserved for players, coaches, front office people. George Halas would be one of the exceptions, since he also played/coached.
4) Dallas Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban is trying to learn Slovenian, Luka Doncic’s native language. Thats when you know you’re a big star, when your boss learns a new language because he wants you to stick around.
3) The last time a team won consecutive basketball games at Duke/North Carolina was way back in 1975, when a Maryland team led by John Lucas/Brad Davis pulled it off.
2) Citadel 102, Longwood 99, 3OT— There were 84 3’s taken in this game, 78 2’s; Citadel was down 5 in second OT. Longwood took 16 FT’s in a 55:00 game; Kaelon Harris of Citadel was 13-14 by himself, in 48:00.
1) Oklahoma City Thunder players were among people evacuated from an Oklahoma City mall Thursday when an isolated shooting took place at the Penn Square Mall- a man was shot at the Foot Locker at the shopping complex.
The shooting victim was in critical but stable condition after being shot in the chest.