13) So you want to be a major league GM? It ain’t easy.
This year, Baltimore is a terrible team, but they were 11-6 when Andrew Cashner started for them; he was 9-3, 3.73 with a 1.19 WHIP. Pretty good.
So on July 13, the Red Sox acquired Cashner for two minor leaguers, hoping he would be the #5 starter that would help propel them into the playoffs.
Not so fast. In five starts for Boston, Cashner is 1-4, 7.53, with a 1.74 WHIP.
12) Been a weird baseball season; who had Eduardo Escobar leading the major leagues in RBI (93) on August 8th?
11) Remember the movie Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner’s character built a baseball diamond on a cornfield in Iowa?
Next summer, Bronx-White Sox will play a real game in a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark that MLB will build on that Dyersville, Iowa farm. ESPN will televise the game.
10) Alex Tanney is fighting to be the Giants’ 3rd-string QB; he is 31 years old, has been in/out of nine different NFL organizations. Tanney has played in one NFL game, completing 10-14 passes for 99 yards in a 30-24 loss at Indianapolis at the end of the 2015 season.
If the Giants cut him, chances are someone else will sign him- competent QB’s are hard to find. Sounds like he is laying the foundation to be an NFL coach. Bet he could write a hell of a book.
9) Bills 24, Colts 16— RB Senorise Perry is the first Buffalo Bill to wear #32 since OJ Simpson left the Bills after the 1977 season.
8) Ravens backup kicker Kaare Vedvik made FG’s from 55, 45 yards in the first half Thursday, which is bad news for kickers around the NFL who are struggling in training camp.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Cubs added C Jonathan Lucroy to their roster.
— Red Sox put P David Price (wrist) on the IL.
— Braves put 3B Austin Riley (knee) on the IL. He got hurt in the weight room.
6) Cleveland Browns traded RB Duke Johnson to Houston for a conditional 4th-round pick.
5) IPFW (Fort Wayne) announced Tuesday that it is leaving the Summit League for the Horizon League, beginning in the 2020-2021 basketball season.
4) Arizona sophomore G Brandon Williams will miss the entire upcoming basketball season after undergoing knee surgery.
3) Went to Saratoga racetrack the other day; saw a guy wearing one of the Jets’ new jerseys- very bright green. Look a lot like the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders’ jerseys.
2) Rookie QB’s Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones both looked sharp in their first NFL action; not so much for Washington’s Dwayne Haskins, who threw two INT’s in his first preseason action.
1) Air Force Captain Roy Knight Jr was shot down over Laos in 1967 during the Vietnam War; he didn’t survive. It took until this past June to find his remains.
Thursday, travelers at Dallas airport stopped in silence to show respect as the war hero’s remains were brought back to this country.
When Captain Knight left from the Dallas airport to go overseas in 1967, his 5-year-old son came to the airport and waved goodbye. It was the last time he would ever see his father alive.
The Southwest Airlines pilot who brought Captain Knight back to Dallas Thursday was his son.