13) Washington Nationals are a mess; in their last 25 games, their starting pitchers have one win. One. They had a players’ only meeting Wednesday, then fell behind 7-0 in the second inning last night- they’re 43-43 and sinking fast.
Nationals beat Miami 14-12 Thursday, after trailing 9-0.
Dusty Baker went 192-132 in two years as Washington’s manager, and they fired him so they could hire a guy who has never managed before. Why was this a good idea?
12) Agent Scott Boras was whining about shifts hurting lefty hitters more than righty hitters; I wonder who Bryce Harper’s agent is?
11) Speaking of Boras, six of the Washington Nationals’ eight highest-paid players are represented by Boras. Daniel Murphy and Harper are free agents this coming winter and neither is having a good season this year.
Maybe Boras should be managing the Nationals; he played minor league ball back in the day.
10) Rubber game of a series is the 3rd game of a 3-game series, when teams split the first two. Here are teams with best records in rubber games this season:
New York (A) 8-2, Boston 5-2, Seattle 7-3, Houston 8-4, Arizona 6-3
9) Teams with worst records in rubber games:
Royals 2-8, Orioles 1-3, Jays/Mets 2-5, Rockies 3-7
8) Major league teams have concessions stands where you can buy game-used items, like foul balls or broken bats or game-used jerseys/caps. They’re not cheap; I was in Philly’s ballpark last fall and I can personally attest that the pine tar on a bat is really sticky.
Would be interesting to know how much a team nets from those sales in the course of a season.
7) Colorado’s 1-0 home win over the Giants Wednesday was their first 1-0 win at Coors Field since June 12, 2010.
6) 51-year old Steve Stricker has made the cut in 27 consecutive majors, the longest current active streak; Brooks Koepka is next, at 16.
5) Whats the worst day to have a birthday? Dec 26? Feb 29? July 5? Jan 2?
4) Baseball DL doings:
— Angels put P Tyler Skaggs and OF Chris Young on the DL.
— Nationals put P Erick Fedde on the DL.
— Arizona put OF Jarrod Dyson on the DL.
— Mariners put C Mike Zunino on the DL.
3) Interesting that Yuli Gurriel was playing 3B for the Astros last night, with the White Sox in town. Houston has been rumored to be interested in acquiring Chicago’s 1B Jose Abreu.
2) Graduate transfer Geno Crandall bolts North Dakota for Gonzaga; it is getting to the point where mid-major coaches are becoming reluctant to pay for kids’ summer school now, since if they graduate early, they’re more likely to jump to greener pa$ture$.
Crandall is a 6-4 guard who scored 28 points against the Zags in a 89-83 Gonzaga win in OT in Spokane last fall. Very good player.
1) Western Kentucky signed a 5-star basketball recruit named Charles Bassey, who will be at WKU this fall, after re-classifying from the Class of 2019.
In a stunning coincidence, the Hilltoppers also hired young Bassey’s guardian as an assistant coach, and will play him $200,000 a year— a totally legal move.
Larry Brown did the same thing when he signed Danny Manning at Kansas— Ed Manning had been a truck driver before his son was recruited by the Jayhawks.