13) Over the last year, state of Nevada turned a $310M booking sports bets.
During that same time, they’ve made a $3.3B profit on penny slots. Thats billion, with a B.
12) Speaking of which, May 2019 was the first month ever where more money was legally bet on sports in New Jersey ($318.9M) than in Nevada ($317.4M).
11) Ralph Michaels posted some great knowledge on Twitter Thursday:
Since 2011 there have been 74 games with a line of -330 or higher; the favorite went 61-13 in those games. Of the 13 teams that lost (Red Sox were #13 Wednesday), those teams went 5-7 in their next game after the loss, with an average line of -$199.
Oddity here is that the Red Sox don’t play again until Saturday in London.
10) Rays 5, Twins 2 (18)
— 2nd time in ten days Minnesota played a 17+-inning game.
— Twins scored twice in first inning, never scored again.
— Ji-Man Choi is first major leaguer since 1992 (Daryl Boston) to enter a game in extra innings, then walk 3+ times in that game.
— 19 pitchers worked in this game.
— Five players went 0-7 in same game for first time since 1901.
9) Only other teams in the last 40 years that played a 17-inning game and a longer game within ten days of each other:
2013 BlueJays – lost their next two before going on an 11-game winning streak.
1980 Padres – went 4-7 and then went on a 7-game winning streak.
8) The out-of-business AAF spent $40M to develop its in-game betting app; MGM wound up paying $5,125,000 to acquire the app.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Twins put C Willians Astudillo (oblique) on IL.
— Cubs activated P Craig Kimbrel
— Detroit P Spencer Turnbull left after two innings Thursday
— White Sox DFA’d 1B Yonder Alonso, three days before his charity bowling event, which also benefits White Sox charities- awkward.
— Brewers optioned 3B Travis Shaw to AAA.
6) Phillies 6, Mets 3— Juan Segura hit a walk-off HR for Philly, which swept the Mets despite trailing by 2+ runs in all four games. Edwin Diaz gave up five runs in an ugly ninth inning.
Gambling is hard; total on this game was 9; Phillies led 1-0 after the 8th inning.
5) Last time the Phillies swept a 4-game series despite trailing in the 5th inning or later in every game was September 24-26, 1929. Nineteen. Twenty. Nine.
4) College basketball transfer portal:
— Quentin Grimes transfers from Kansas to Houston.
3) Cubs 9, Braves 7— Craig Kimbrel gets a save in his first appearance as a Cub.
2) Dodgers 12, Rockies 8— Colorado’s bullpen has allowed 25 runs in 27 IP vs LA this season- they’ve won 12 games in a row against the Rockies.
1) Lakers re-did the Anthony Davis trade and sent the Washington Wizards three scrubs and a 2nd-round draft pick to clear enough salary cap space to go after a max-contract-level free agent, or multiple lesser players.
Washington sent the Pelicans cash to complete what is now a 3-team trade.