13) Last year, 64% of college basketball teams made at least 33% of their 3-point shots; this season, with the arc moved back 16 inches, only 46% of teams are making at least 33% of their 3-pointers. Not sure why they moved the arc back, but it isn’t helping the game any.
By the way, if the gurus who run the sport want increased scoring, and we’re always told they do, then they should allow continuation calls that lead to more 3-point plays.
12) Dallas Cowboys are telling coach Jason Garrett to take a hike; Garrett was 85-67 in 10 years as the Cowboys’ coach, 2-3 in playoff games.
11) If you remember the movie Moneyball, about the Oakland A’s front office, the character that Jonah Hill played is in real life a guy named Paul DePodesta, who these days is the chief strategy officer for the Cleveland Browns. DePodesta played college football at Harvard.
Cleveland will have its 7th coach in 11 years next season, now they’re going to choose that coach before they choose the next GM. It is fair to question if they know what they’re doing.
10) Reliever Will Harris bolts the Astros for Washington, getting a 3-year deal for $24M.
9) Tennessee 23, Indiana 22— Vols scored 14 points in 0:30 to take a 23-22 lead with 3:51 left, after not scoring a TD in the first 55:39 of the game. Tennessee finishes its season by winning its last six games.
8) NBA fined Sacramento Kings’ C DeWayne Dedmon $50,000 for publicly saying that he would like to be traded; Dedmon signed a three-year, $40M contract with the Kings in July.
Players are prohibited from making public trade demands under the league’s collective bargaining agreement.
7) College basketball upsets:
— SIU-Edwardsville (+25) 79, Belmont 69
— UCLA (+10) 66, Washington 64
— Merrimack (+9.5) 65, Sacred Heart 57
— Brown (+8.5) 85, hole Island 75
— Maine (+7.5) 75, Columbia 72
— Wm & Mary (+6.5) 88, Hofstra 61
— Wagner (+6) 66, Mt St Mary 47
6) Chicago White Sox signed OF prospect Luis Robert to a six-year, $50M contract, even though the 22-year old Robert has never played in the big leagues; he played 56 AA games LY, 47 in AAA.
5) MLB announced that Bronx P Domingo German has been suspended 81 games for violating MLB’s Domestic Violence policy; the penalty is retroactive to LY. German will miss the first 63 games this coming season.
4) Cincinnati Reds signed Japanese OF Shogo Akiyama on a three-year deal worth more than $15M; Akiyama, 31, hit .303/.392/.471 with 31 doubles, four triples, 20 homers, 62 RBI, 112 runs and 12 stolen bases last year for the Seibu Lions.
3) UTEP basketball coach Rodney Terry is in critical condition at a Miami hospital after he experienced an allergic reaction to a pre-game meal before his team’s game at FIU Thursday; he was being held overnight at the hospital. Hopefully he’ll feel better soon.
2) Broncos, Cardinals, Lions, Jaguars and Steelers can all be compelled to be on HBO’s Hard Knocks next summer, but hard to believe it won’t be the Chargers, as they move into their new digs as a tenant in the Rams’ new domed SoFi Stadium.
1) A buffalo needs to eat 60 pounds of grass per day, according to Bill Walton, working the Oregon-Colorado game in Boulder last night.