13) Took a walk on Fremont Street in downtown Las Vegas this afternoon; there were three guys who appeared to be close to my age (in my 50’s) who were naked except for a thong, and they were posing for pictures, in exchange for money. Ummm, no thanks.
Can’t help but be curious, though, how much cash they make in a day.
12) Brewers 3, Rockies 2 (10)— Mike Moustakas got the game-winning hit (should Colorado have walked him and pitched to Manny Pina?) after the Brewers blew a 2-0 ninth-inning lead. Rockies were playing in their 4th city in five days; Game 2 is Friday, also in Milwaukee.
11) Colorado Buffaloes have a WR named Laviska Shenault who I think will be an NFL player, but the reason he plays football is unusual, and a little sad.
When Shenault was 10 years old, his dad was hit by a car and killed, with Laviska watching; from that point on, the young man starting growing his hair out in dreadlocks and vowed never to cut his hair, to honor his late father.
When he got to high school and was a hotshot basketball player, Shenault was told he couldn’t play on the school’s team unless he cut his hair, but Shenault declined, started concentrating instead on playing football. Not really sure what the basketball coach was thinking about, but this young man is two years away from playing football on Sundays.
10) Was nice to read an Andy Reid quote today about how much Alex Smith helped Patrick Mahomes LY, when Mahomes was Smith’s backup with the Chiefs. Not all QB’s are helpful to their backups, seeing how backups have sometimes taken the starter’s job. Lot of $$$ at stake.
9) 24 college football coaches are making $4M+ this season, led by Nick Saban’s $8.3M.
8) 58% of NFL plays last season were passes; so far this year, that number is up to 61%.
7) In 63 NFL games this season, there have been 72 games where a receiver gained 100+ yards.
All of last season, in 256 games, there were 140 receiving games of 100+ yards.
6) Houston 41, Tulsa 26— Golden Hurricane led 23-17 after three quarters, but Cougars stormed back and now they’re 4-1, while Tulsa is 0-4 vs I-A opponents.
5) Games scoring zero or one run this season: Orioles 40, Cubs 39. Surprising.
4) Top college football teams at going over the total:
Rice 5-0; South Alabama, Utah State 4-0; Appalachian State, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, Ohio U, Toledo, all 3-0. Missouri 3-0-1
3) Former major league pitcher Mark Mulder is playing in the PGA’s Safeway Open this week, on a sponsor’s exemption. Mulder shot +3 Thursday, and actually beat five pro golfers.
2) Patriots 38, Colts 24— Julian Edelman was back and New England scored 38 points, which is no huge surprise. Andrew Luck threw for 365 yards and didn’t have all that much help from his receivers, who dropped several passes.
1) Dodgers 6, Braves 0— Hyun-Jin Ryu allowed four hits in seven scoreless IP for LA.