One of the best days each summer is when the Phill Steele college football magazine comes in the mail. It is a great resource to use all season long.
13) According to Phil Steele Magazine, the three toughest college football schedules for 2018 are: 1) UCLA, 2) Purdue 3) Michigan
12) Best three offensive lines: 1) Wisconsin (150 starts back) 2) Georgia (69 starts) 3) Alabama (103 starts).
11) Offensive lines with most returning starts: Wisconsin (150), Boston College (139), Wake Forest (131), Florida Int’l (129).
10) Four best QB’s: Will Grier (West Va), McKenzie Milton (UCF), Jarrett Stidham (Auburn), Jake Browning (Washington).
9) Four best kickers: Matt Gay (Utah), Austin Seibert (Oklahoma), Rodrigo Blankenship (Georgia), Jameson Vest (Toledo).
8) Tulsa was the only team in America last year that lost five games by a TD or less. They didn’t win any games by a TD or less.
7) Army won six games LY by a TD or less; they lost two games by a TD or less. Troy and North Texas both won five games LY by a TD or less; they didn’t lose any. South Carolina won five and lost one.
6) Since 1991, 369 teams have been +10 or better in turnovers in a season; of those 369 teams, 240 had worse records the next year. Only 85 (23%) had better records the next year.
Over the last seven years, only 6 of 48 teams who were +14 or better in turnovers had a better record the following season.
Best turnover ratios is 2017: Wyoming (+24), UCF (+17), Stanford (+16), Memphis (+15).
5) In the past 27 years, 311 teams were -10 or worse in turnovers; of those 311 teams, 208 of them had better records the following season.
Worst turnover ratios in 2017: San Jose St (-26), Rice (-23), Kansas (-17), New Mexico (-16).
4) Four teams Phil Steele thinks will be the most improved this year: Florida, Utah State, North Carolina, Colorado.
3) Underdogs are 4-0-1 vs spread in last five national championship games (3-2 SU).
2) Over last four years, underdogs are 4-1 vs spread in these bowls: Orange, Holiday, Pinstripe, New Mexico Bowls.
1) The current King of Bowls is Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who is 11-1 as a head coach in bowl games.