13) Rams 38, Vikings 31— Scouting in football is very important:
— Rams WR Cooper Kupp went to college at Eastern Washington.
— Vikings WR Adam Theilen went to college at Mankato State.
Two damn good players; teams with really good scouts found them.
12) Oklahoma Sooners had the ball for only 15:19 vs Army last week, Sooners’ lowest TOP in any game since at least 1995.
11) Cleveland Indians will end the regular season with a winning record against their division, but a losing record against everyone else; they’re first playoff team to do that since the 2009 Minnesota Twins, who got swept in the ALDS.
10) Last week, Seattle RB Chris Carson carried the ball 32 times, most by any Seahawk since Week 12 of 2006, when Shaun Alexander carried it 40 times.
9) Since Bill Lazor became the Bengals’ OC, only Tom Brady, Russell Wilson have thrown more TD passes than Cincy QB Andy Dalton.
8) Elsewhere…..Denver Broncos’ TE Jake Butt tore his ACL and is expected to miss the remainder of the season; he got hurt going thru what basically was a walk-thru. Freak injury
7) Actor John Hurt has died in 45 different movies, making him the unofficial leader in on-screen deaths.
6) This from Darren Rovell of ESPN:
20 years ago, when Mark McGwire hit his 70th home run of the year for the Cardinals, Phil Ozersky, a fan making $30,000 a year, caught the baseball. Cardinals asked him for the ball in exchange for a signed bat, ball and jersey. Ozersky said he also wants to meet McGwire. McGwire declined.
Three months later, Ozersky sold ball for $3.05M. Thats million, with an M.
5) Former NBA star Amare Stoudemire is still playing basketball, for a pro team in Israel that is also the co-owner of.
4) Rockies 5, Phillies 3— Philly went 0-8 on their road trip, their worst road trip since 1883. Thats 18-83, not 19-83.
On August 5, Phillies were 63-48 and stop the NL East after beating the Marlins; they’re 15-33 since then.
3) Thursday afternoon, in the midst of an 12-1 blowout of Tampa Bay, CC Sabathia drilled Jesus Sucre of the Rays, in retaliation for an inside pitch a Tampa pitcher had thrown earlier. Sabathia was ejected from the game, leaving him two innings short of a $500,000 innings bonus.
Will they give him the $500K for being a good teammate?
2) Miami 47, North Carolina 10— Maybe the UNC players shouldn’t sell the sneakers/gear they get for free, then they wouldn’t get suspended, then their team wouldn’t get whacked just about every week. Miami came in struggling, but had a big night here.
1) Weird stat: in the 57-year history of the Mets, Jacob deGrom may become the first Mets pitcher ever to finish the season with a 10-9 record.