13) I’ve been hoping this would happen; Thursday, NFL Films/HBO announced that Hard Knocks will have a regular season set of shows, centered on the Indianapolis Colts, starting in November. This will be 1,000 times better than the training camp version, providing HBO gets good access behind closed doors. Looking forward to it.
12) Washington 30, Giants 29:
— Hopkins kicked a 43-yard FG at the gun for the win.
— Hopkins missed a 48-yard FG on previous play, but Giants were offsides.
— Heinicke threw for 336 yards in only his second regular season start.
— McLaurin caught 11 passes for 107 yards.
— Giants scored 6 of last 7 times they had ball, but 5 of 6 scores were FG’s.
— Jones threw for 249 yards, ran for 95 more, didn’t turn ball over.
— Giants averaged 5.8 yards/rush; Jones is more of a threat with his feet than his arm.
— Giants are 0-2 for the fifth year in a row.
11) Active major leaguers who’ve played most games without ever playing in playoffs:
— Kyle Seager, Seattle
— Jean Segura, Philly
— JT Realmuto, Philly
10) Phillies 17, Cubs 8:
— Chicago led this game 7-0 in 4th inning.
— Phillies went 10-22 with runner in scoring position.
9) Whoever finishes second in NL West will be in the one-game Wild Card thing, even though that team will finish miles ahead of their Wild Card opponent. Right now, the Dodgers are 17 games ahead of St Louis; that would be the Wild Card matchup, if it happened today.
8) In 21 of the Seattle Mariners’ last 37 games, the winning run scored in the last three innings; they’ve played a ton of close games this season.
7) Louisiana 49, Ohio U 14:
— Game was only 28-14 after third quarter.
— Total yardage; Louisiana won, 562-250
— Montrell Johnson ran for 84 yards and four TD’s.
6) Kris Bryant plays all three OF positions, he plays 3B, he’s even played some first base, but I’m wondering if he would hit better if he just played one position. His versatility will get him a huge contract this winter, but not sure it helps him be his most productive self.
5) Pittsburgh Pirates have a bad record, but they’ve been spunky of late; Pirates are 4-0-1 in their last five home series.
4) Las Vegas Raiders’ backup QB Marcus Mariota got hurt running the ball Monday night, is out for a few weeks. Nathan Peterman steps in to back up Derek Carr.
3) Buffalo Sabres/Toronto Maple Leafs are going to play an outdoor hockey game in Hamilton, Ontario this winter; the outdoor games have proven to be very popular.
2) Former Steelers’ QB Devlin Hodges was in Rams’ training camp this summer; this week he signed a 3-year deal with Ottawa in the CFL.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they do not):
NL: Braves, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: St Louis @ Los Angeles
AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: Boston @ Toronto