13) Carolina 24, Houston 9:
— Panthers are 3-0; opposing QB’s were two rookies and Jameis Winston.
— Carolina has allowed opponents four TD’s on 31 drives.
— Panthers lost star RB McCaffrey to strained hamstring.
— Carolina outgained Houston 407-193.
— Texans converted 1-9 third down plays.
— First four series: Houston ran 17 plays for 54 yards.
12) Appalachian State 31, Marshall 30:
— Marshall led 30-21 after third quarter.
— Thundering Herd had a 56-yard TD pass, ran kick back 97 yards for a TD.
— App State kicked a 45-yard FG with 5:45 left for the win.
11) Chicago White Sox are first team to clinch their division this season; Pale Hose last won the AL Central in 2008.
Four other teams have clinched playoff spots, but no one else has clinched their division.
10) White Sox 2B Cesar Hernandez got his 1,000th career hit Thursday, a cool milestone; he got lucky this summer, getting traded from the also-ran Indians to first-place Chicago.
9) Our college football page has write-ups on 13 of Saturday’s top games every week, as well as all of Friday’s action.
8) USC QB Jaxson Dart hurt his knee last week, had an operation this week on his meniscus, so Kevon Slodis will get his starting job back when the Trojans play Oregon State Saturday.
Trojans won last four games with OSU (3-1 ATS) scoring 35.5 ppg.
7) Purdue is 12-4 in its last 16 games with Illinois; Illini is 3-5 ATS in last eight visits to Purdue.
6) Utah beat Washington State last two years, 45-28, 38-13; Coogs had beaten Utah four times in row while Mike Leach was coach. Current Wazzu coach Nick Rolovish is in a kerfuffle because he refuses to get the vaccine. He better start winning some games…….
5) Colorado won three of last four games with Arizona State, after losing previous seven meetings; favorites covered nine of last 11 series games.
4) Tennessee is rebuilding its program; Florida is smarting after a tough loss to Alabama LW. Gators won 15 of last 16 games against Tennessee— they’re 9-4 ATS in last 13 meetings.
3) West Virginia-Oklahoma is your basic 1.137-mile road trip for a conference game; why are these teams in the same league?!?!?!?!?!?
Oklahoma won last seven meetings, going 5-0-1 ATS in last six- they scored 52+ points in last four.
2) RIP to actor Willie Garson, 57, who passed away from cancer this week. I enjoyed his work on the old TV show White Collar; he played Mozzy. RIP, sir.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
NL: Braves, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: St Louis @ Los Angeles
AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: New York @ Boston