13) Thursday afternoon in St Louis, Adam Wainwright/Yadier Molina started together as a battery with the Cardinals for the 324th time, tying Detroit’s Mickey Lolich/Bill Freehan for the all-time record.
12) Molina is also the third catcher EVER to hit two home runs in a game he was catching, after he turned 40 years old. Carlton Fisk, Rick Dempsey are the other two guys on that list.
11) Cardinals lead the NL Central by eight games, in large part because they traded for Jose Quintana, Jordan Montgomery at the trade deadline. St Louis is 6-1 when Quintana starts, 7-0 when Montgomery takes the mound.
10) New York P Domingo German has started ten games this season; the home team won all ten games. New York won his four home starts; they’re 0-6 in his road outings.
9) Minnesota P Joe Ryan has been shaky away from home; in his last six road starts, he’s given up 28 runs in 28 IP. He is 6-4, 3.13 in 13 home starts,
8) One thing about the baseball playoffs will be different this year; in the best-of-3 first round, the higher-seeded team will be home for all three games.
7) There must be a freakin’ boatload of money in hosting fantasy football leagues; the timeline on my Twitter feed has been jammed with fantasy stuff, mores even than gambling info.
6) Clemson locked up football coach Dabo Swinney with a 10-year, $115M contract. Swinney is 151-36 in 15 years at Clemson, 11-7 in postseason games.
5) Saints C Erik McCoy signed a 5-year deal with New Orleans for $63.8M.
4) Only 8 of the 55 Super Bowl losers got back to the Super Bowl the next season, only one since 1972.
3) I don’t follow tennis much, but late Wednesday night, there was a match at the US Open that went over five hours long; it ended at 2:50am. Great competition.
You have the admire the athleticism of two guys going at it like that for five hours, not to mention the ballboys who had to work that long- that couldn’t have been much fun.
2) Bills 31, Rams 10:
— Buffalo converted 9 of 10 third down plays
— Buffalo outgained the Rams, 413-243
— Bills sacked Matthew Stafford seven times.
— Buffalo scored TD on their first drive of each half.
— Kupp caught 13 passes for 128 yards, but other three WR’s caught only six balls for 47 yards.
— Rams were outscored 21-0 in second half.
1) We all over-react to Week 1 results, whether good or bad, but you wonder if players need to play some in preseason games, just to sharpen up.
It is a fair question; of course, but if they play in preseason games and get hurt, then the coach is Billy Bob Thornton in Friday Night Lights, which isn’t a good thing. He kept his star running back in a blowout win too long, and the kid screwed his knee up, which crippled the offense.