13) Rams 24, New England 3
— Rams drove 75 yards for a TD on the game’s opening drive.
— Kenny Young had 79-yard pick-6 on first play of 2nd quarter.
— Rams had a 16-play, 90-yard TD drive that took up 9:42 of 3rd quarter.
— Akers ran ball for 171 yards, most by any NFL rookie this year.
— Rams won four of their last five games.
— LA has outscored opponents 164-82 in second half of games.
— Rams won five of six home games SU (4-2 ATS)
— Eight of LA’s last ten games stayed under the total.
12) With this win, the Rams clinch their 4th straight winning season for first time since 1983-86, when John Robinson coached the team, which played its home games in Anaheim Stadium.
11) San Diego State 80, Arizona State 68— Aztecs went to Tempe and whipped up on ASU; San Diego State is 5-0 already, with Pac-12 wins over ASU, UCLA.
10) Portland 87, Oregon State 86 OT— Rough night for the Pac-12. Portland was a 16-point underdog in this game.
9) Next week’s NFL schedule is interesting; league flexed the Browns-Giants into the Sunday night slot., replacing 49ers-Cowboys. In the 15 years that NBC has had the Sunday night game, the Cowboys have never been flexed out of a prime-time slot. Until now.
8) Dave Dombrowski is finalizing a deal to take over as president of baseball operations for the Philadelphia Phillies, which would be very good news for Phillies fans. Dombrowski had been mentioned as trying to help Nashville land an expansion franchise, but running the Phillies is a way better gig than that.
7) P Chris Flexen signed a 2-year, $4.75M deal with the Mariners, fueling speculation that Seattle may be toying with the idea of using a 6-man rotation this season. Flexen pitched in the KBO this season, posting a 2.79 ERA. He had previously pitched for the Mets, going 3-11, 8.07 in 27 games (11 starts) from 2017-19.
6) Duke’s basketball team has already lost home games to Michigan State, Illinois; they haven’t hit the road yet, but the Blue Devils cancelled their remaining three non-league games and sent their players home for five days, for the holidays.
All of a sudden Mike Krzyzewski isn’t so fond of playing thru a pandemic with experience team #301- they’re turning ball over 21.5% of time, shooting 32.7% on the arc- they look ordinary, and there is no home crowd in Cameron Indoor Stadium to get behind them.
5) Southern Miss 45, Florida Atlantic 31:
— Just third loss in eight game for the Owls.
— Southern Miss outgained FAU 514-326.
— USM ran a kickoff back for a TD.
— FAU scored a defensive TD.
4) Pitt 34, Georgia Tech 20:
— Panthers somehow got 11 games in, finished 6-5.
— Pitt ran the ball for 311 yards.
3) ESPN and SEC announced Thursday that they’ve reached a 10-year deal beginning in 2024 that will make ESPN/ABC the exclusive rights holder of SEC football and basketball, so the 3:30 SEC Game of the Week will be on ABC, but not until 2024.
2) NHL is aiming for a January 13 start, with a 54-game schedule, give or take a fewThey’re going to shuffle the divisions some just for this season, which will be interesting.
1) Want to win a bar bet? In the history of major league baseball, the record for most pickoffs by a right-handed pitcher is held by knuckleballer Charlie Hough, with 73.