13) Stability is important in pro sports; its a lot easier to win when you don’t have to learn a new program every year.
Gary Kubiak retired Thursday as the Vikings’ offensive coordinator, which means that next year, Minnesota will have its sixth offensive coordinator in six years. Not exactly the ideal scenario.
12) College coaches move around more than NFL coaches; Alabama signed two new assistant coaches this week, two guys with pretty good resumes.
— Former Texans’ coach Bill O’Brien is the new offensive coordinator
— Former Jaguars’ coach Doug Marrone is the new offensive line coach.
Makes recruiting a lot easier when you have NFL head coaches on your staff.
11) Rams signed Raheem Morris to be their new defensive coordinator; he was a head coach in Tampa Bay a while back, and was the interim head coach in Atlanta this past fall.
Rams also signed a new special teams coach, Joe DeCamillis. Rams will be the 6th team he’s coached special teams for in his 33-year NFL career.
10) Knicks 119, Warriors 104:
— Draymond Green got tossed for his 2nd technical, which he got when the ref thought Green was yelling at him, but was actually yelling at a teammate.
— Much-improved Knicks won their last three games, are 8-8. Tom Thibodeau is a good coach.
9) Arizona 64, Arizona State 62:
— Arizona outscored ASU 7-0 over final 1:58 of the game
— Arizona made 11-20 3’s, still needed a tip-in at the buzzer for the win.
— Arizona State drops to 4-7, 1-4 in conference.
8) Indiana (+10) 81, Iowa 69:
— Hoosiers are only 4-4 in conference, but they snapped Iowa’s 5-game win streak.
— Indiana won by 12 and they were only 21-35 on the foul line.
7) UCLA 61, California 57:
— Bruins improved to 8-0 in Pac-12, but they struggled.
— UCLA outscored Cal 7-2 over 3:32 of the game.
— Cal made 10-22 3-pointers, only 11-31 shots inside arc.
6) Colorado State 84, Utah State 76:
— Loss snaps Utah State’s 11-game win streak.
— Mountain West standings:
9-0 Boise State
9-1 Utah State
8-2 Colorado State
5) Penn State 75, Rutgers 67:
— Rutgers hasn’t made the NCAA tournament since 1991; they were going to make it last year, but there was no tournament.
— Now they’ve lost five games in a row and six of seven; they scored 63.5 ppg in last four games.
4) BYU 95, Portland 67:
— BYU won seven of its last eight games, will be an interesting bubble team.
3) Jazz 129, Pelicans 118:
— Utah won/covered its last seven games.
— Every Jazz starter was at least +15 in this game.
2) It appears that retired NFL QB Philip Rivers will become the football coach at St. Michael Catholic HS in Alabama; Rivers has two sons (and 7 daughters!!!); he wants to coach his sons, much like he played for his father in high school.
1) Philadelphia Eagles hired Nick Sirianni as their new head coach; Carson Wentz played his best ball with the Eagles under Frank Reich and Sirianni has been Reich’s OC in Indianapolis the last three years. Fixing Wentz is Sirianni’s #1 job.